best deerrifle

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by gr8twfisherman, Sep 4, 2004.

1. gr8twfisherman

gr8twfisherman New Member

i am an avid hunter wantng to buy a deer rifle im interested in a military type rifle
    i live in tennessee theres really no long range distances like 1000 yards or so i need
    knockdown power at about 150 yardsor so
    can anyone give any good advice

thanks
    get-r-done

2. TireurDelite

TireurDelite Active Member

get-r-done,

Have you look at a M1 garand or M1-a1? In some state the AR type rifles are not legals due to the smaller bullets. Both will do fine I am poly sure if bullet placement is right.
    My old friend hunt deer using an SKS, he seems to like it but I don't believe he even have a clue about all the wonderfull cartriges and rifles out there.
    I personally believe that when it come to hunting, a super very accurate bolt gun is better, after all if I miss the first shot, the game deserve to live.
    Hope this help, if not the guys on this forum are much more experienced than I.

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I am not an advocate of using a .223 for any biggame. However, if you would like to use an AR-15, or one of the varients, these rifles are also built for heavier cartridges. You should be able to get one in .243 or .308.

Just a thought

VH

4. rcnpthfndr

rcnpthfndr Member

Olympic arms makes the Ar's in alot of calibers 6.8, 243, some of the new short mags, me i like the old savage scout in .308 with a eotech mounted up front, it is light fast and really accurate. jsut my opin

5. gr8twfisherman

gr8twfisherman New Member

Hey I thank you guys for the info
    i really needed some help i really liked your output about if you missed the game would still be alive .i am only 22
    and i find older hunters who will take a shot on a deer that is not a kill shot i try
    to take the best shot i can thats the reason i dont kill a lot but i dont lose a lot of game for the meet eating animals i really
    hate to see this kinda game mangement
    hey if you guys have any good storys i love to hear

thanks
    GET-R-DONE
    PLEASE REMEMBER OR MILITARY IN YOUR PRYERS
    AND ALWAYS GET-R-DONE

6. lead foot

lead foot Active Member

Not quite sure what you mean by "military type" rifles, so I'll suggest a Springfield. That be '03-A3 or Trapdoor.

Depending on your state, if you're shooting a semi-auto,you may have problems getting magazines with limited enough capacity to be legal for game. Fer instance, here in Oregon, you can't hunt game with a semi-auto rifle with a magazine capable of holding more than 5 shells. That removes the M1 Garand from the list. So, check your regs, maybe even call fish-n-game and see what they say.

I'd highly suggest avoiding anything in .223. I shot a deer with a .223 once, neck shot at about 40 yards, but it didn't have enough momentum to break the spine. The deer went down in a heap, but by the time I walked the 40 yards it was getting up to leave. I'd handed my rifle to my dad and I was in the way so he couldn't finish it off, left my pistol home, so I had to finish the deed with my knife. It was not a good situation.

7. james_ogburn

james_ogburn Active Member

My first deer rifle was a Lee Enfield Mk1No4 .303. It's an old British military bolt action with plenty of power, and an excellent deer rifle. They shoot a 180 gr. round nose Remington Coreloct at 2480 fps, if I remember right. It'll pile a deer up in a hurry!