Best Bipod

G

Have been looking at Harris, Versa Pod, Outers, etc. and am leaning towards the Harris. What do you use, and what do you suggest for benchrest and long distance hunting? Thanks for your experience!

Harris Bipods

I use the LM model as the detents on the legs won't slip as do the thumbnut tighteners on the other types.

I also peen the nut end of the leg pivot bolts then I get them, keeps the nuts from ever coming loose and escaping.

highresimage

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/328534

This is the Swivel model, I don't get the Swivel models.

Gents,
I really don't favor usinmg bipods, but when I do its always a Parker Hale - tried versa pod a few years back and it was a huge waste of money - a very poorly executed copy of the PH design IMHO.

Long external springs on the Harris always seen to get caught on shot when you are humping it through the brush too.

Just my .02 YMMV.

Scott

Harris. I've made a number of 400+ yard hits on prairie dogs this summer using one. A while back I shot a 2.25" at 650 off one. They work for me.

I'll have to give Harris the vote as well. I like the swivel model with the leg notches as pictured above. I've had both kinds and prefer the swivel. Never know what kind of terrain you're going to encounter, but you can adjust the legs too. Whatever floats your boat.

D-mon,

At last! Another Harris non-believer!

If you were to look for the noisiest, least elegant (ie over-complicated) engineering solution to sticking a bipod on a rifle; Harris is it.

My search for something that didn't twang on vegetation and didn't require a coin to put on/take off led me to the Caldwell bipod. Looks pretty similar to your rugged gear solution.

Use what you like, but if you are totalling opinions....I have never felt the need to put a Harris Bi-pod on any rifle I owned. If something is needed, there must be a ton of shooting sticks available that will do the job, or I have seen many homemade jobs that work quite well.

Something I saw some time ago, was a fiberglass stock with two holes drilled parallel to the barrel channel, with two round fiberglass legs that fit snug and flush, and yet could be withdrawn and inserted in two other recesses so that they flared out from the bottom of the stock and formed a neat and lightweight bi-pod. Excellent adaptability, clean lines, sturdy enough in a pinch, and no added weight. Wish I remembered who made that stock?

Good hunting. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts