Best bang for buck scopes to 300 yards?

Bigeclipse

All,
Looking to get my wife a new scope for her 7mm-08. This will be used for mainly woods hunting deer under 200 yards but we do sit on a field that goes to 300 yards from time to time. I am not looking for the cheapest scopes but also please leave the high end ones out. Power should be in the 2.5-4.5 on the low end and 9-14 on the high end. I am contemplating a scope with the BDC type reticle because even with her rifle sighted in about 2 inches high at 100 yards she is like 9 inches low at 300. I know many of you frown upon these but since she will only be going to 300 yards I think this type reticle will be perfectly adequate. Clarity/low light capability is probably the most important factor over power and reticle type. Feel free to name several models. Thanks!

This would make a nice mid-priced optic that falls within your parameters.

Vortex Optics Viper HS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 50mm Side Focus

I have several Vortex products, and even their mid-priced optics are nice.

looks like a great scope. Thinking about sticking with 40mm and 1inch tube though to keep the scope low. Right now the scope sits on low rings and a very low 1 piece base and even with the "prairie hunter" style stock which has a much more pronounced cheek weld hump, she is just about perfect eye level with her current 1in leupold. If we got a 30mm tube with 50mm bell, the scope would likely need higher rings which would mean she would need a stock pad to get her head positioned right adding weight to her "light weight" setup. I should have mentioned we are trying to keep this rifle light. Thanks though!

looks like a great scope. Thinking about sticking with 40mm and 1inch tube though to keep the scope low. Right now the scope sits on low rings and a very low 1 piece base and even with the "prairie hunter" style stock which has a much more pronounced cheek weld hump, she is just about perfect eye level with her current 1in leupold. If we got a 30mm tube with 50mm bell, the scope would likely need higher rings which would mean she would need a stock pad to get her head positioned right adding weight to her "light weight" setup. I should have mentioned we are trying to keep this rifle light. Thanks though!
1" tube, 40mm objective, 4-12 mag, and a BDC reticle... :D

Vortex Optics Viper Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Matte

Nikon monarch 3
Nikon Buckmaster
Vortex diamondback
Leupold variX-II

I have an SI 3-9x40 on a 708 and it works well. Sent the first scope back as the cross hairs started turning, but sightron was fast on the transaction. Since then my friend has fallen on the gun hard enough to put a gash in the scope, so far so good.

Leupold VX-3 would probably be my choice. They are very light weight and have great glass for the money. Look at the 2.5-8x36 with Boone and Crockett reticle or 3.5-10x40 CDS. The CDS turret would be great so she can just dial the yardage instead of having to read a drop chart. VX-2 or the Vortex would also be good choices, as mentioned already.

1. Generally scopes with large objectives do not work on hunting rifles as you need a good cheek weld-- particularly when considering the smaller frame of a females head. I would suggest a 40 mm objective max...
2. Leupold Gold Ring or Vortex are my recommendations...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts