Buck deer @1059 yards...

GG,

Congrats, great buck and fine shooting!!! Seems I need to get one of them 1K kills with one of my rifles on big game, or just let you guys keep doing it!!

Good job!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Grouper nice shot! what part of the heart were you aiming for? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and was your friend pleased with the results?
That is a nice Buck and a nice story to go along with.
keep up the the nice work. Nice boom stick Kirby set you up with.

GG,
Good Hunt. Congratualtions!
I know who you forgot to thank! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
THey were right, she carried me all the way back up to the buck without too much trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

GG It is about time you used a horse. They do save you from allot of work. You and Uncleb need to keep those broom tails-(horse) close to the boom stick when you go hunting. As always I enjoy your story and pic. Better have the dvd next week when I pass through. Congrats, you deserve it. IP

Thanks everyone for your kindness.
For those of you who asked questions, I will try to answer each individually.

JD338,
I don't know how to post the video but if someone wanted to help me with it I would gladly put it on here. I should have it soon...

[ QUOTE ]
Is that your first kill with the Thunder?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It has killed an antelope and an elk before this. And it is going to kill a Rocky mt. bighorn in a few weeks and then a cow elk after that. Should make for some interesting reads hopefully!

I would love to see video, but I am too stupid to help you get it on here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
what part of the heart were you aiming for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I confess that I actually wasn't aiming for the heart at all. I always shoot for the shoulder/spine area and having the heart in the path of the shrapnell of bone splinters is just icing on the cake! I'm not sure if the trench in the heart is from bone, jacket, or the bullet but it sure worked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and was your friend pleased with the results?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was blown away by the whole thing. He is a guide for elk and deer and gets so sick of taking hunters out that can't hit anything at 200 yards and tracking gut shot animals from 100 yards so this was a very pleasurable experience for him. He also was very happy the video turned out well. He even watched it that night before going to bed and we were all very tired but he just had to watch it so he could sleep!

I am with your buddy I could not have had no rest until the movie rolled, thanks for answering my questions I was giving you a bad time about aiming for the heart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
When is your next hunt? what kind of camera do you use and how much cabbage ($) for the camera

I know your a horseman from way back so I will agree with you that they save a lot of work. It was nice after hiking up and down that mountain once to just put the meat on the horse and forget about it. All I had to pack down the mountain after the photo session and butchering was my knife, rangefinder, and my buddies Swaros. I flew down the mountain and beat the horses to the bottom by a long time but then got caught up in some super thick willows along a river which cost me about an hour of time that was miserable.

I believe the Rocky bighorn hunt starts either the 11th or 18th of NOvember and will be the highlight of my year. As some of you know, I am first and foremost a huge sheep hunter. It is my absolute favorite of all the big game.

The camera used on this hunt was a Canon of some sort. I didn't really look at it too close but it took some great video and had a great zoom lens. I believe they are in the $2500 range for this particular model and some of it's big brothers run up to $7000 from what I hear.

Thanks for info,not only this post, but all your other post as well, and good luck with sheep hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.