Best approach for consistent bullet release

I have seen recently fired cases that have obvious residue in the necks. Occasionally it looks like corrosion. I never took notice to which powders cause this because it really didn't matter to me.

I clean all of my brass necks with a brass brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool, spun with a drill. I size with bushing dies which have the expander removed.

I do all the usual case prep including a light neck turning. I regularly get single digit SD's and have occasionally recorded a "O" SD on my Oehler 35.

I prefer clean necks with no lube or fouling. It works for me. :D

Since I first posted this I had some time to dig deeper. Begun reading relevant threads on Accurate shooting. Am 52 pages into a huge 387 page forum called reloading.

Sure are some interesting ideas out there. There is a faction of shooters who use the Bench Source annealing machine and anneal EVERY time after firing. That is one approach to deal with this issue.
In addition to annealing every time many clean the cases with SS shot first, anneal, then polish necks with 0000 steel wool on a bore brush with a rechargeble drill. Most seat into clean necks. Some of them will partially seat the bullets and do final seating depth the morning of the match!

I have read of a variety of lubricants used in the SS shot cleaned necks but most common is graphite.

My friend and I have continued our conversation and he wants to shoot his annealed brass once then load for his matches. I suggested he chamber a used barrel for the fireforming to save his expensive match barrel.

Thanks for the ideas everyone

First off, virtualy all graphite is an abrasive. If you want that going into your barrel, use it someplace in the case so it'll go down the bore when the round's fired.

Second, the most consistant bullet release force is attained when the case necks hold them with the least amount of pressure. A 20% spread in release force is normal, so get it down to a few ounces for the best consistancy. Which means you've got to get your fired case necks sized such that their mouth's about .0001" smaller than bullet diameter. With very light release force on bullets, one's gotta handle that ammo gently else a bump will relocate the bullet in the case neck.

Third, to further make the resistance to the bullet starting to move the same for each shot, seat bullets out far enough so they're set back several thousandths when chamberd. At least .010" longer than what OAL is when a bullet's seated in a sized case by chambering it. That'll compensate for the case headspace (case head to shoulder reference) spread on bottleneck cases headspacing on their shoulder 'cause they all vary a bit.

Fourth, I don't think bore brushing out powder fouling in fired case neck is a bad idea. Having not ever seen any bad things happen, it's OK by me. After all, brand new cases holding brand new bullets in good 30 year old commercial match ammo's never been a problem with their squeaky clean surfaces together (Western Cartridge Co.'s WCC60 made in 1960, .308 Win. 190-gr. stuff shot in 1990). So making fired cases like brand new ones shouldn't matter either. But as always, some folks come up with reasons to do otherwise.

Well I find that fired cases are not new cases, they will never again be new cases, and that load development can take best seating to various depths(other than soft seating/jammed).

It seems the jest of this thread is that an experienced shooter is going through 'extra efforts', beyond needed. And yet, it's rationalized here that he should FL size necks, super clean necks, anneal necks constantly, lube necks, and soft seat all bullets to get full circle into something that supposedly works..
I'm tellin ya this something amounts to no more than tail chasing.

Every single one of these actions introduces variables, and IMO, there is no real basis for any of it.
I don't do any of it, and so far I've managed 3/8moa or less with every gun I've worked with, including factory guns.

That shooter who recognizes what he needs to to be in tune for a match isn't going to listen to you, as this would surely be a setback for him.

I hear you on too many detailed things being done but this is to be competitive in 1000 yd Br matches, not hunting. Last weekend with a new 7 SAUM Dan shot tightest group and best aggregate for its first time out in light gun class! Tightest group was a five shot 3 11/16" group.

His annealing question and followup was for the heavy gun a 300 magnum AI. He'll sort it out his way and I am certain he'll do well. He won the heavy gun contest too.

Last weekend with a new 7 SAUM Dan shot tightest group and best aggregate for its first time out in light gun class! Tightest group was a five shot 3 11/16" group.
A single 5-shotter's about 50% reliable for representing what'll happen all the time with that load' components, preparation processes and rifle. If he repeats that same size group all the time, then it's 100% representative of what the load's manufacturing technique with the parts involved will do. If other groups are different sizes, then that one was plain old statistical luck.

Well I find that fired cases are not new cases, they will never again be new cases, and that load development can take best seating to various depths(other than soft seating/jammed).

It seems the jest of this thread is that an experienced shooter is going through 'extra efforts', beyond needed. And yet, it's rationalized here that he should FL size necks, super clean necks, anneal necks constantly, lube necks, and soft seat all bullets to get full circle into something that supposedly works..
I'm tellin ya this something amounts to no more than tail chasing.

Every single one of these actions introduces variables, and IMO, there is no real basis for any of it.
I don't do any of it, and so far I've managed 3/8moa or less with every gun I've worked with, including factory guns.

That shooter who recognizes what he needs to to be in tune for a match isn't going to listen to you, as this would surely be a setback for him.

Mike, the judges evaluating this thread are holding up cards with 9's and 10's on them in grading this post. You've made it to the medal round and may well end up with the gold one.

Sure statistically speaking you have a point. On the other hand shooting those two groups at 1000 with wind tells him he has a rifle with potential.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.