What is the best (most consistent) balance

midgetorama32

I have suspected that my RCBS 5-0-5 has been inconsistently weighing powder charges. It seems that almost everytime I reverify a load, I get a different velocity from the time before with varying accuracy. This has been going on for years. I am selling the balance to a friend who is just starting out and aware of the issue.

Before I buy, is there a balance that is a little higher quality that will deliver more consistent results?

Thanks.

I know of no one that makes an inconsistant beam scale but I have known some inconsistant and rough users who damaged their knives/bearings with improper handling.

Clean the bearing blocks and pivot knives, and check to see if you have burrs or rust on the knife edges. Then make sure the ends of the pivot bar don't rub against the bearing retaining clips. If you get all that right every beam scale made should work well.

Just curious, but have you checked it with a certified check weight set? RCBS makes one. Wondering if it's repeatable/consistant with something of known weight. Does it repeat on a bullet or a brass case?

I've got an RCBS 10-0-10 and a Hornady. Both check out with the calibration weights and both are repeatable with the same weight used over and over.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts