Best affordable case trimmer?

I have a Hornady which part of a reloading kit I received thirty some years ago. I bought a RCBS from a yard sale for 5 bucks. A Wilson would be nice as I believe you can inside ream with it.

Ive used this one for years.
but recently upgraded to using this due to higher volume of brass to process
Bought the Lyman Universal in 86. Still works for me.

You can buy a different cutting head with no handle, but one the chucks up on a cordless drill. Cuts the tedious part out completely. I use a lyman universal, fits everything.
The Lyman E-ZEE doesn't have different cutting heads, just different pilot shafts and the correct shell holder. The actual cutting head is the same for all the different cartridges. It's pretty versatile for the different cartridges, just need to change pins or pilots, and make sure there's no wobble in the drill chuck. It's fairly precise, I would check about every 5-10th case on the digital micrometer. No real variation.

I invested in a Wilson and case holders several years ago. Needed to trim 50 cal brass and had to buy their larger trimmer. I don't want to add up the $$$ I've spent on something I really don't like to do. I went with a AI on my last rifle to hopefully limit the stretch.

I've loaded for a long time and always used a garage sale case trimmer which has finally given up the ghost. A friend is trying to get me into the giraud, which while cool is way out of my price range.

What trimmers are considered worth buying these days? I'll be doing .223 up to .338 RUM so it needs to be pretty variable.
Depends on how many cases you trim per year and how many years you plan on reloading.
Also how precise you want your cases trimmed with consistence.
There is a saying "Buy Once Cry Once".
This statement is so true.
My dad told me when I was a little boy, and he was teaching me to fix things around the home. He always said. "Len when buying tools, buy the best". They will most likely outlast you and your children. Buy some inferior tool and you will have to buy replacements. Just think of the cost if you have a tool that doesn't work or breaks in the middle of a job. Down time, poor quality and replacement costs.
A truer statement was never said. I still have his Skill Circular saw, Drill and a toolbox of Craftsman tools.. (60+ years). I can still pass these tools down and they will work great.
There are many Posts on Case Trimmers. Just do some research.

We bought a Hornady Lock and Load Prep Unit and it goes for about $600. It was not aligned correctly so Hornady sent us a NIB replacement. In the meantime we bought a Henderson and made a power unit for it. We posted the Hornady on LRH and didn't get any takers so sold it for $300 on Craigs list and it was taken off the site withing 3 hours between 11:00pm and 02;00am the next morning. A Liberal flagged it because it was associated with "GUNS". Anyway still sold it for 1/2.

Do you want short term or long? Ease of doing the job" Time spent? Quality?
Giraud and HENDERSON are some of the highest quality and COST.
Personally we have had several trimmers and then bought a HENDERSON and made our own power unit. Yes we try to save $$s anyway we can and if we can modify some product to save $$s BUT still have the quality we will.
If you are only doing a small amount of cases there are units that you can still get QUALITY by doing manually.

When purchasing a Giraud/Henderson you also need to look at not only the cost of the unit but the cost of the trimmers for each caliber.
We have a Henderson that we modified a power unit with .20 cal to .338 trimmers and if we were to sell it ---- we would have to sell for close $2K.
There are many quality hand trimmers out there and you can convert to power with a power screwdriver.
Good luck and don't feel that you need a high $ trimmer just to reload/trim hunting cases or even competition.
If you want to discuss, send us a PM.
Thanks
Len & Jill

I have a Frankford powered unit and a L.E. Wilson. It all depends on how precise I want to be and how much volume I'm doing. Anything precision gets run on the wilson. I absolutely love it. I've had rcbs and hornady lathe type trimmers and they don't compare in quality IMO.

I've used a Lyman for years. I added the straight shaft for speed but found the Little Crow WFT to be the cat's meow for speed and convenience on big batches. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Forster unit. It's an affordable quality piece and it accepts the 3-in-1 head. This trims to length and inside/outside chamfers. It's pretty easy bust out a couple hundred cases in short order.

I've used a Lyman for years. I added the straight shaft for speed but found the Little Crow WFT to be the cat's meow for speed and convenience on big batches. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Forster unit. It's an affordable quality piece and it accepts the 3-in-1 head. This trims to length and inside/outside chamfers. It's pretty easy bust out a couple hundred cases in short order.
This one? https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/original-case-trimmer/

Yep. They also offer a magnum version for the longest of cartridge cases.
You know what is a bit ridiculous? That's the one I've been using the whole time! I paid $6 at a garage sale for the dang thing. It's always been a bit wobbly and I assumed it was just low grade, but that'll teach me not to pay more attention! I'll get the 3 way cutter head and maybe a new lock ring for it and see if that helps out.

I've got two of these Forsters trimmers, one long and one short. I run them with a small drill/driver. They have been going strong for about 40 years. I have no complaints.
That's good to know. I think mine is the small one. I haven't tried it with the .338 case yet but I'd be amazed if that fit.

Looks like a pretty basic adapter to run a drill on it. I'd prefer that so I can batch trim 5.56 and .308 cases.