Best case trimmer I have ever used!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by MSLRHunter, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I just got my new LE Wilson case trimmer a few days ago. I have had a Hornady trimmer since I started reloading but have always had problems with it making smooth, square cuts. I have also used a friends RCBS and Lyman, these seemed to be decent trimmers. The Wilson trimmer blows them all away. I just got finished trimming a batch of 300 winmag, and they are amazingly consistent. I know there are quite a few guys on here that use this trimmer, but for everyone else, you need to try one of these.

2. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

The Wilson is very accurate, if you are using the micrometer to set length, and learn how far to spin the handle. I also have an old CH trimmer which is like the Wilson, and I run it with a cordless drill for coarse cutting. But the Wilson is more expensive than RCBS, Hornady and Forester, etc. because you need to buy a differenct shell holder for multiple cartridges.

3. Hntbambi

Hntbambi Well-Known Member

I agree that it is a great case trimmer. While it is more expensive, it can also be used as a runout gauge. I set up a dial indicator and spin the loaded cartridge in the tool watching for runout. It works pretty well.

4. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

I got one 2 years ago, absolutely love it.

I wish you or someone else would do a full blown review of the Wilson case trimmer.

500 or more words, 3 pictures. Word document.

5. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

I also use one, and think it's the best I've ever used. But you can make it better! The cutter that Wilson uses is not ground to cut brass, but regular steel. I had mine resharpened, and the difference was amazing! It now cuts even better will almost no burr left over. Now I kinda want to try the neck turning version
    gary

6. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

I used an RCBS trimmer until I got my Wilson last year. I love it! It's quicker, easier to adjust, and I think better. Wish I had the micrometer adjustment add-on, but it's a little pricey.

7. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Help me out here: How did you resharpen the cutter or who did you have do it - I'd be forever grateful as I think you just hit on a problem that I am having.

8. Trickymissfit

I had an old man take a look at it while I was making a micrometer head adapter for it. He said that the cutter was a typical end mill grind that was ment to cut mild steel. He then resharpened it, and made some slight changes with the reliefe. When he got done it was like nothing I'd used before. Maybe mine had a bad grind on it, I don't know. But after he was done, everything was better. I'd ask around for somebody that resharpens end mills, and tell the guy you want it ground to cut brass and aluminum
    gary

9. CentreHit

CentreHit Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I just recently purchased the new Stainless Steel micrometer version of the Wilson trimmer and am so happy - it is perfect!

Fantastic straight trim on the brass, fairly quick to set up - the best part is its already 'zeroed'. Fit your brass in the holder, adjust the micrometer to the exact measurement and go for it.

Man, I love it.:)

10. DZelenka

DZelenka Well-Known Member

I hate trimming cases so the best one I have ever used is the Giraud. You can do 1000 cases an hour pretty easy. :D

11. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

+1 I too would like to know.

I also use mine to trim meplats using the Whidden system. Works great!

I have set mine up to use my cordless drill.

12. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Mine has a center cut hole and can't be used as a meplate trimmer. How do you do it????

I've been using one for 40 years and never needed sharpening.........

13. Trickymissfit

Like I said, mine may have had a bad grind. I do know that it leaves about 1/4 the burr it did before, and cuts faster and better
    gary

14. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

I use this; Whidden Gunworks . I have the Micrometer adjuster and don't use the bolt that comes in the kit. I also put the cutter in a power adapter, it is not a perfect fit, but works. I hope this helps.
    Ray