Best affordable case trimmer?

marksman1941

I've loaded for a long time and always used a garage sale case trimmer which has finally given up the ghost. A friend is trying to get me into the giraud, which while cool is way out of my price range.

What trimmers are considered worth buying these days? I'll be doing .223 up to .338 RUM so it needs to be pretty variable.

I have two relatively affordable and accurate case trimmers, best for low volume sessions. The first one is the Lyman EZE trimmer that attaches to a cordless drill. Quick, accurate, easy to use. You do need to deburr and clean the primer pocket separatel. The Lyman comes with 5 popular cartridge pilots, so you may need to purchase extra pilots separately for your cartridge.

The other one is the Frankford case preparation unit. This takes a couple of minutes to set the correct depth, but once set, it's pretty quick. Has separate stations for deburring and cleaning the primer pockets. I recommend either one, depending if you're doing small batches or larger batches.

Last edited:
Ive used this one for years.
but recently upgraded to using this due to higher volume of brass to process

I have two relatively affordable and accurate case trimmers, best for low volume sessions. The first one is the Lyman EZE trimmer that attaches to a cordless drill. Quick, accurate, easy to use. You do need to deburr and clean the primer pocket separatel. The Lyman comes with 5 popular cartridge pilots, so you may need to purchase extra pilots separately for your cartridge.

The other one is the Frankford case preparation unit. This takes a couple of minutes to set the correct depth, but once set, it's pretty quick. Has separate stations for deburring and cleaning the primer pockets. I recommend either one, depending if you're doing small batches or larger batches.

I like the look of the Lyman actually. I have never given them much thought, but for the price that would be a great way to do my primary calibers. And a minor addition for extra calibers. I don't mind chamfering as a second step.

I use the Lee Quick Trim.Very inexpensive and works great.It is adjustable so I can go longer if I need to.
You have to buy the case Quick Trim Dies for the cartridge you want but at 9.00 each it won't break the bank.
This is what I used for years, great for my hunting reloads, for high volume .223 not as useful. But can't see changing to something else when I reload for my hunting rifles.

Ive used this one for years.
but recently upgraded to using this due to higher volume of brass to process
I have the Lyman and Lee version of the ones above along with the easy trim version of Lyman and Lee.
I also have the Little Crow for my 7RM, 300Win, and another for 5.56/223.
If you are doing volume the Little Crow is awesome

Last edited:
I've loaded for a long time and always used a garage sale case trimmer which has finally given up the ghost. A friend is trying to get me into the giraud, which while cool is way out of my price range.

What trimmers are considered worth buying these days? I'll be doing .223 up to .338 RUM so it needs to be pretty variable.
Lyman!

I like the look of the Lyman actually. I have never given them much thought, but for the price that would be a great way to do my primary calibers. And a minor addition for extra calibers. I don't mind chamfering as a second step.
I used it for many years, and it's pretty handy. I only handload for hunting rounds and practice, so maybe 30-50 cases at a time. If you're doing hundreds of cases, it would be pretty tedious. I had to buy a 280 ai pilot, but my other cartridges (270 win, 30.06, 6.5 CM) were included.

I used it for many years, and it's pretty handy. I only handload for hunting rounds and practice, so maybe 30-50 cases at a time. If you're doing hundreds of cases, it would be pretty tedious. I had to buy a 280 ai pilot, but my other cartridges (270 win, 30.06, 6.5 CM) were included.
You can buy a different cutting head with no handle, but one the chucks up on a cordless drill. Cuts the tedious part out completely. I use a lyman universal, fits everything.

Another vote for the Lyman Universal. I put a straight shaft on mine that can be driven with a cordless drill. Come direct from Lyman, easy swap. Universal chuck means no shell holders needed and no changing. Just change the pilot for each caliber. Have used mine for nearly 60 years, still works perfect. Put a carbide cutter on it about 30 years ago, hasn't needed replacement since.

They also sell a neck turning attachment that works very well once you get it adjusted. It fits on the universal and their smaller version. I have it mounted on the hand crank rod as the slower hand turn does a better job.

1696002680079.jpeg

1696002695565.jpeg

1696002943229.jpeg

1696003011761.jpeg

Recent Posts