Best 7mm for 500 yards and less

nctta

Looking to build a deer rifle for girlfriend where she will shoot a max of 500yards. She has no issue shooting my 7WsM or 7SAUM, shes not recoil sensative, but was leaning toward a 7-08. I defiantly want to stick with a 7mm, but not sure is there is a better choice when sticking to factory ammo choices than the 7/08??

The 7mm-08 does have a lot of factory ammo available for it, but why don't you just stick with the 7mm WSM or 7mm SAUM? These will offer a lot more knock down power at the farther ranges and you already have one so you could both swap shells if you had to.

7mm-08 will do it with no problems, but I think you'd be happier with a flatter trajectory, based on your caliber suggestion options. So I think the regular old 7mm RemMag with a VAIS brake will be just fine for what you want. Plus, lots of commonly found factory ammo options out there for it.

7mm-08 will do it with no problems, but I think you'd be happier with a flatter trajectory, based on your caliber suggestion options. So I think the regular old 7mm RemMag with a VAIS brake will be just fine for what you want. Plus, lots of commonly found factory ammo options out there for it.

+1 the old tried and true "Big 7" would be great as well. It has A LOT of factory offerings out there as well. If you ever want to get past 500yds the 7mm Mag is also one of the best to do it with.

7-08 is a great choice for her. She can shoot cheaper and shoot more rounds which equals fun. If you decide to get into reloading, then you can easily extend her range.

When sticking to factory ammo I'd support Mudrunner's opinion with the 7 RM, otherwise I'd strongly recommend 7x57 Mauser. Very similar to the 7-08 but also capable to shoot bullets up to 175gr with reasonable velocity. gun)

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going 280ai. I've got the dies and plenty of 280 brass to load with and nosler has 280AI ammo if I need it. I sold a 280ai two years ago and regretted it so I think I'll do another. The 280ai I had shot factory remington 280 loads pretty good anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going 280ai. I've got the dies and plenty of 280 brass to load with and nosler has 280AI ammo if I need it. I sold a 280ai two years ago and regretted it so I think I'll do another. The 280ai I had shot factory remington 280 loads pretty good anyway.

That's a good choice if you want more pop. Just a thought, you might want to consider the 7 SAUM if that is the energy range you are looking for. It is on a short action and would be a little more compact and lighter for your wife. It is ballistically the same as the A.I.......Rich

I love the .280 AI, but didn't suggest it since you seemed adamant about easily finding ammo on the shelf. If you build an original Ackley version of the .280 AI you should be able to shoot factory ammo no problem, but I have been told the new Nosler/SAAMI spec .280 AI is .014" shorter, so stuffing factory loads in there might not fit. But if you already have a reamer to match the dies you were using before, you should be good to go.

I am wanting to build one of those very soon. I was going to build one out of my Browning A-Bolt II 7RM, but since I can't seem to find a standard bolt head anywhere, and Browning is wanting to be a bunch of punks about selling me one, I decided to just go with a .264 WinMag. Since I have almost all the parts for that (minus barrel blank) I'll go ahead and get it built. However, once I get a couple more actions for my builds, I'll be ready to start my .280 AI and .300 Ackley builds.

Factory ammo: 7-08, 7RM or 7WSM. All very fine chamberings. I chose a 284 but am not concerned about factory ammo.

I love my 7saum and 7wsm and would build her one too, but I'd like to replace my old 280ai and restock it if she wears out her welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts