best .338 RUM magazine?

The Hock

Colorado mountains west of Colorado Springs
I am having a .338 RUM set up and have the option of which magazine to install. It'll be a sporter weight hunting rifle. Anyone that has experience with the .338 RUM and various magazines please lend me a hand. The first one that came up in discussion with the gunsmith was Wyatt. What do you use? Advantages? Disadvantages? Any help at all is appreciated.

I think the most important question is what action are we talking about?
For the Remington the next issue is what was the original chambering. The Wyatt will require some machining of the back af the magazine recess to fit, then filing and polishing of the rails to feed the RUM. One of the simplest mag
changes is to use the HS detachable Mag. as it is center feed and will not require as many alterations as the Wyatt, though the overall loaded length will be limited to 3.65 approx.

Wow, boy I simply forgot to mention the action.

700 Remington originally chambered for a .375 H&H. I have been researching and found the Seekins as well as other manufacturers. I can read all that they have to say. Since I frequent this forum I wanted to get whatever feedback was possible before spending my money.

I see Seekins has a detachable box for the .338 Lapua too but I feel certain it would take some work to make it function in the RUM.

So... What it amounts to is what would you put on your rifle?

The length of the Seekins is 3.900 OAL, this requires opening the rear of the mag well over .150 and considerable openning up of the stock to accomodate the the detachable mag. If you were going with a Lapua or Edge this may be worthwile but not with a standard RUM. Also you stated a sporter type rifle,not the Tactical style which is why I mentioned the H S Detachable system. No action work and minimal stock work. You did pick the cream of the crop with the Seekins though, it's primo!

Remington makes a detachable magazine for the Rums and the floor metal.

Very little stock work is required.

They feed and work well.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you all. It'll either be the HS or factory. I'll be talking to the gunsmith. In the end Ed is a primo guy so I'll go with what he says. To me it's just great to know what he's talking about because it really opens the discussion and keeps it from being an educating session.

Thanks again everyone that added in!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.