Best 300 yd target "visual"??

Re: Best 300 yd target \"visual\"??

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> if your rifle dont shoot good at 100yds theres no way it will shoot good at 300yds. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that but their are many experienced guys who claim to have loads that don't stabilize for 300 yards - they claim the bullet corkscrews until then. They almost have me convinced but I'm still skeptical.

I do load dev at 100 but test at 550 yards.

FOR ME...the 300 wby and like calibers should be tested at 300 yds. It is an amazing caliber that only gets about 3" high on it's way to be dead on at 300. I own 2 300 wby's and love them both. One of my favorite loads is a 180 xbt over 7828 and I almost passed this load cause it only shot 1.5" at 100 yds and the gun was doing better with lesser bullets. BUT, one day I shot that load at 300 yds and found it got 3-3.5" nice round groups with a 10x scope. That means the bullets are only landing about 1-2" from my crosshairs and that's about as good as it's going to do with me as an "operator". Some fine tuning with seating depth, a 20x fine crosshaired scope, and a really good shooter and who knows what this thing could do.
Bottom line is I'm going carribou hunting this fall and shots up there can easily be 3-400 yds in the tundra. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to so I want to get a little fine tuning in for long range shooting....100yd targets just don't cut it for this kind of practice.

the wind can blow a bullet into a group just as it can blow it out. thats why i do my testing at 100yds. then i will shoot the rifle at 1000yds my best 10 shot group at 1000yds is 7-inches the berger 210 is a long vld and at 100 yds they go in one hole. heres a five shot group at 100yds with a 300 win mag that i built one bullet went out a little bit. web page

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.