Best 300 yd target "visual"??

kraky2

Best 300 yd target \"visual\"??

My 48 year old "bifocal eyes" aren't what they used to be. I do almost all my shooting at round orange dots. I want to zero my 300 wby at 300 yds and was wondering if you guys have any homemade ( or other targets) that make it real easy to put the cross hairs onto at that range.
(3-9 scope). I can usually get 3-4" groups at 300 but was wondering if there was a better "visual" than my 3" orange dot that would help me hold on target better.

Re: Best 300 yd target \"visual\"??

Kraky1,

My eyes are decent but I have never been able to get a clear sharp sight picture using an orange target square unless its on a dark background.

For this reason I use nothing but Black squares of various sizes for my range testing. Just seem to work better with my eyes.

For 100 yards I use a 3/4" hollow black box. 300 to 500 yards I use a 3" black box with a 1" open middle as long as I am using a relatively high powered scope.

I just have never been able to get a clear image of an orange target dot or square.

Kirby Allen(50)

i'm with 50. i like a black circle with white center.no matter what the range, i make the inside white circle just big enough to get little pieces of white showing in all 4 corners of the crosshair.

A few comments about getting older.

About six years I missed a small buck at 10 yards with my bow because with my progressive lens bifocals I was trying to see through my peep, pins and the deer. I could not at ten yards make out the difference between the deer and the tree and see the sight pins in the failing light because my glasses were slightly slipped over and I was looking thorough the reading part of the lens. The same thing will occur with a scope and I will be unable to get a consistent sight picture because of where my glasses happen to be riding at the moment. My advice is to hunt with single lens glasses. You can set you gun in a cradle and look through the scope and with one hand move your bifocals around and see if you have the problem I had.

Secondly, you may need to ignore the parallax focus mark setting on your scope and just shoot what "looks" right.

Third, if you have changed prescription lately then go back and reset or recheck the eyepiece focus on your scopes.

Fourthly, I find that the larger the aiming target the larger my groups. Use the least size you can see.

Finally, if you should ever run upon the guy who said these were the "golden years", please don't shoot him. Tie him up and call me and we will torture him for a long time.

I like the blue diamond targets that Sinclair sells. You can get them up to 5" and since the diamond is blue, you can see your hits easily whereas they can be difficult on a target with black areas.

Good Shooting, Festus

[ QUOTE ]
i like a black circle with white center.no matter what the range, i make the inside white circle just big enough to get little pieces of white showing in all 4 corners of the crosshair.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's very close to what I've been using lately: http://www.jonaadland.com/300YDSquare.doc

Recently I tried putting a white square in the center instead of a circle and it seems to help in centering the crosshairs. I can also see the holes a little better in gray than I can black--but on hot days with mirage I still lose them in my scope. Just keep 'em in the white. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe after a new barrel I'll be able to consistently do that.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hey Dave, contact me will ya. I'd like to talk to you about some things.

Dave

apart from the other reccomendations, I suggest you use a target where your shooting point, square, circle or whatever it is is surrounded by others that will make centering the crosshair easier since you will have motre references. check some of the targets at mytargets.com, and remington webpage also has something useful.

Kraky,
Fiftydriver pretty much answered the way I would.
"Aim small, miss small" High contrast is always good .When I print targets off the net I always increase the dark. A particular target I like is available from uspalma, as a matter of fact you can get 52 free targets from them. Just do a search for free targets and the uspalma site is close to the top.
You can always change magnification to give the smallest aiming point that you can discern with any target.
When I was in the navy( yeah, the nav had shooters too!) 10 power was tops but groups were as small as represented by those shooting 2 or 3 times the mag.
hope this helps , Jimm

Here is a link to a 300yd target from uspalma. The spacing is a little large for 20x, but is perfect for 10x. On there site I am sure you can find something you like.
300yd target

i do all of my load testing at 100yds if you want your rifle to be on at 300yds just set your scope about 3-inches high at 100yds and that should put you in there for 300 yds. i use the little orange targets with a little black dot in the center. the smaller the thing that you are aiming at the smaller your groups will be. if your rifle dont shoot good at 100yds theres no way it will shoot good at 300yds. thats why i do all of my testing at 100yds + the wind dont play in your data very much. here's a 5-shot group that i shot with the wind blowing 20mpr + at 100 yards with my 300 win mag with 210 bergers. web page

Kregg,
I have found that 100 yd. groups do not reflect the full potential of a particular load. With vld bullets seated out long it seems that I would throw the baby out with the bathwater if I did not test at longer range.
I,m sure there are more knowledgeable people than me that have experienced this (I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )
So much to learn , so little time, Jim B.

MUCHO THANKS for all the replies. I wished I lived in the country so I could try some of these ideas before I sit down and site in for an AK carribou hunt. (I might scare the neighbors if I walk down the street and tack up some of these taget ideas to someone's tree and then look out my window with my gun!!!!) Anyhow all the ideas have me thinking that a big 5" orange circle with a possible "x" cross through the middle with electrical tape might make a really good "hybrid". I do like how bright orange shows up and that you can see bullet holes. I'm thinking the elec tape might be the right thickness for a 300yd/9power scope.
An "x" might give the effect of the diamonds.
So many good ideas here...maybe it was a good post for everyone. Thanks Again. Don Kraky

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.