Best 20 moa mounting system

338RUML

I am looking at buying a talley 20 moa rail to throw on my 338 rum I have seen other rails made out of steel I am just wondering if the aluminum talley will hold up to the recoil of the 338 or should i spend 60 more dollars and get a steel night force base? Also what rings do you prefer? Do they make a 20 moa dual dovetail base?

Regardless whether it's steel or aluminum, once the rail is tightly mounted in place I don't see any reason to be concerned about it holding up to recoil. A common misconception about aluminum is that it's inherently soft and easily damaged. We need to remember that, much like other metals, there are a wide range of grades of aluminum and some are very very strong. I've always used Weaver of Picatinny style bases so can't speak to the issue of dove tails.
If you want to spend big bucks on a rail the Cold Shot dial adjustable base looks interesting.
For the difference in price is typically choose the aluminum rail to which I attach either Burris or Leupold rings.

If you go the aluminum route, make sure it's 7075 aluminum. It's about twice as strong as the 6061 aluminum

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.