Bergers in a .257 wby mag

EastTexasBoy

Just bought some berger bullets in 115 grn for my wife to try on Texas whitetails. She sometimes shoots really big bucks in the shoulder joint should she chest shoot with these berger bullets since they are softer?Thanks

In the 257 Weatherby I would suggest you don't shoot the deer at close range. I shot a large buck this year with my 7mmWSM at 30 yards and the results were OK but not ideal. I shot him behind the shoulder with a 140 VLD and he only ran 20 yards. But there was no exit hole and the entrance was about the size of a softball. I shoot the Bergers at just over 3200 fps and you will probably be at 3400 fps so don't shoot them to close. Also have some in a 25-06 AI but did not shoot a deer with the 115's.

I could not get the 115 berger to group in my 257 wby, vanguard, but it does not have recommended twist, the 87 worked fine, and I use the 110NAB with good results

Tried the VLD's in my 257 weatherby, group's were horrible. No mattern what I could do I couldnt even come close to a basic load with TSX. Shot a coyote with them anyways and it looked like a bomb went off on the surface! So sticking with a bonded bullet in the weatherby. Now my wife's Roberts love's them. My thoughts on it are that with the thin jacket and high velocities the expansion is to quick. When the velocities are dropped then they work as designed with massive internal damage. Just my two cents

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.