.257wby vs .270wby vs 7mm wby

tnhunter211984

Hello to all. My name is David. My friend gave me his username and password to get on here to ask you all the thoughts on a .257wby, .270wby, and 7mm wby. The good lord knows I don't need another rifle but I am wanting a new one and I own allot but, I do not own a weatherby. i do allot of whitetail hunting here in Tennessee but also go out west on public land elk and mule deer hunts as well go to Alaska on self guided hunts; mostly caribou. I got a friend that hunts with me and he uses a .257wby and he has killed elk with his with no problem. I know it is all about shot placement. so with everyone's two cents it would very much appreciated!!

other than the pluses and minuses for each calibre,the pluses and minuses are the same for each chambering. Only you can decide but if it were me I would go the 7 mm 4 bullet diameter.

i was leaning toward the .257wby. i wonder how good that round will do in Africa on plains game with a good bonded bullet. im down sizing my guns and i am going to buy 2 weatherby rifles i can hunt every thing with. granted i can buy a .300 weatherby and everything is covered but, my wife hunts from time to time as well maybe twice a year.

257 would be great that is what I plan on bringing when I go back. I actually bought my 257 from a guy that used it for exactly that. I then had it fully customized by bob hart. Use 115 gr nosler bt and accubond 110. Depends on what I'm shooting at and distance.

tn,

I have a 257 and a 270 Weatherby. Love both of them. If one had to go though, it would be the 257. As wicked as the round is, it's just not nearly as versatile as the 270, especially for the type of game you want to hunt. You can run 100 gr bullets on varmit's at 3700 fps, 130's at 3450 for Whitetail/Mulies/Caribou and 150's at 3250 for Elk/Moose/Bears/Plains game, etc.. In addition, you're a little limited on bullet selection with the 257, where as the 270 now has some viable long range bullets available, ie: 150 Accubond Long Range.

IMO, the 270 is probably the most versatile of all Weatherby Mag cartridges. Hit's darn near as hard as the 300 and shoots as flat as the 257. The 7mm is fine round in it's own right, but just not as versatile.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever round you decide on, I would look real hard at the Accumark to house it in.

David, I own 4 Weatherby rifles, .257, .270, 300 and 30/378. I had the opportunity to buy a 7mm Weatherby but passed since it's ballistics are very close to the 7mm Rem. I use the .257 for coyote, antelope and javelina, the .270 for mule deer and the 30/378 for elk. My son uses the 300 Wby since the 30/378 came into the picture. If I wanted only 1 I would go with the .270 Wby, it is so **** versatile. I load the 150 gr Berger and am very happy with it. If you were on a budget the 7mm Rem is my choice especially if you don't reload. The Weatherby factory ammo is pricey. Good luck with your choice.

i have actually looked at the .30-.378wtby but i know it is way to much for the whitetail down here with average shot being 200yds. i have a .270win and a .270wsm for right now depending sale but i have had those for years. im not getting rid of the .270win because that was my first rifle i got when i was 14. i have always looked at the .300wby. i am gonna get the accumark. i was thinking about getting the .257wby now with accubrake for the wife when she decides to hunt on her speer of the moment and next year get the .300wby or .30-.378wby. one gentleman messaged me to just get the .300wby and get a lite bullet for deer and heavier for when i go elk hunting.

but all in all the .257wtby will be good for deer, antelope, mule deer, black bear, and caribou shooting the 110gr. accubond

I love my 257Wby. It would be one of the last to ever leave my safe. With 100gr Barnes bullets, I'd hunt anything on earth that wouldn't hunt me back. I also own a 240Wby I plan to try out next season. If I were buying another Wby caliber, it would probably be the 7mm. Great bullet choices and I just can't warm up to anything 270. I own a 270Win only because it is an absolutely gorgeous rifle and I just couldn't turn it down for the price.

I own a 270 WBY Mk5. I'm currently shooting the 140 nosler Accubond. If I were to redo or have it rebuilt, I thnk I would step up to the 7mm WBY. I currently do not own a 7mm, but would like to have one in my collection. I really like the ballistics of the 7mm.

257 WTBY I own a MK5 Ultralight and it is insta death on whitetails. I shoot 100 gr bullets for deer and I am not kidding it it like Thor's hammer on deer. As far as elk I have killed 3 with 115 grain bullets all one shot kills. Would I not buy either the 270 or 7mm for a good deal heck no but if i was buying new again I would buy the 257 over and over. I own a 300 WTBY in the same rifle and used it for years I dont have it braked and I got tired of shaking the cob webs out after i shot it so i dont use it now unless I have to.

I mean i have my opinion as everyone else does so take it for what you will buy what you want and dont hesitate on caliber you are getting a great rifle either way you chose.

Let us know what you pick

he got the .257wtby ordered. he found a heck of a deal on an accumark only $1300.00 with people scope. i wish i was that lucky n best thing only 10 shot fired threw the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.