Bergers...good as they claim?

I think they are the one stop magic bullet. I load them to the lands and they flat out shoot. I don't have to tinker with them or experiment they just shoot. The .204 40 grain shoots way tighter than the v-maxes I used to use. If they didn't work they wouldn't be in buisness.

as good as they claim? in terms of BC...yes maybe slightly better, consistency form bullet to bullet and thus in terms of accuracy ....yes very good.....as a hunting bullet their terminal performance is not that great from what i have found others will strongly disagree i am well aware but my experience with them as a hunting bullet is not impressive compared to other bullets i have used....terminal performance ....no....do i still shoot them yes i shoot them a lot but i just backed their recommendation of 300 yards to 500 yards minimum distance on game.

Careful,
We recommend a 1:10" twist for the 150's to be stable in all conditions. You might get them to work from a 1:11" in favorable conditions, but I would be nervous about hunting in cold weather with them before you test them in cold weather.

The 140's will be fine from the 1:11" in all conditions.

Good luck,
-Bryan
Bryan,
Are there any 338 bullets in the pipeline?
I would like to have another option apart from Hornady and Sierra in 250gn 338 bullets. For my .338 LM !:10 twist.
Cheers,
btm_54

I am planning on buying some bergers and work up a load for my Sako 270WSM and was wondering if the Berger are all they are cracked up to be? The bullet will be used for hunting whitetail in Okla. Our deer size runs from about 80 pound does up to 200 lbs. bucks. And that is on the large size. Usually they are 120 lbs. to 160lbs. I want a bullet that if a deer steps out at 50 yards it will put him or her down but also if the same animal steps out at 600 it will do the same.

I plan on using the 150 grainers so it will buck the wind at longer ranges. It has a 1 in 11 twist.

Hey Dust,

I too shoot a .270 and used the 140 gr bergers last fall on whitetails up here in Manitoba Canada, we have some pretty big deer up here and all 3 that I shot last fall with the 140 gr bergers were dead as dead could be.

The Doe I shot was about 120-130 lbs....she was a big ole fat doe for sure, the shot was within 40 yards through both shoulders and she stumbled 10 yards to her death.

The buck I shot was a smaller 4x4, probably about 130 lbs, a buddy of mine's brother in law shot it in the rear right leg about 6" above it's foot, so it had to be put down. The first 140 gr'er (85 yard shot) was a high double lung shot....he knew he was in trouble, and so did I, but as it was the first deer I had shot with the new VLD's, I'd figure I'd learn a little something about their terminal performance, so I pinned his shoulders at about 90 yards....that ended him instantly, and darn near tore the off side shoulder clean through:cool:!

The third was a smaller (75 lb) yearling doe, it was a 340ish yard shot, again another double lung, she ran 60 yards and expired before I could put another in her!

Go with Brian's advice and buy up some 140's and get a load developed, then have fun gun)the heck outta some whitetails!

Forgot to mention....I was out doing some long distance testing last month and found 600 yard shots to be very very very easy usuing the VLD bullet design...with some practice, I see no discernable issues with trying a 600 yard shot on Deer sized game!

Last edited:
I shoot bergers when I can, great bullets. I have been very impressed with their performance on game. Unless your shooting a south bound elk from a Northern vantage I think they will do all you need. I have yet to recover a Berger bullet from a whitetail. Explosive hits with exit wounds out of a bullet that shoots better than anything else commercially offered, why use anything else.

"They are not the proverbial one stop magic solution IMHO" - I agree with that, but then what is?

If you are hunting mainly in dense bush, where you can't pick your shot and wait, and have many marginal angles (quartering animals), then pick something else.

In other circumstances I highly recommend them.

The VLD's can take some tinkering, but follow the suggestions in the sticky elsewhere and you should find the sweet spot just fine.

I've shot plenty of large tough animals with devestating results.

Gemsbuck (probably 5 or 6), Black Wildebesst (okay, not that large), Hartebeest (not that large either), Blue Wildebeest - really big and REALLY tough, Eland (really really big, if not that tough). But not recommended for Eland!

No exits on any of these on broadside or point of the shoulder on quartering towards shots.

210VLD, 300WM.

What more do you want?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.