berger vs Amax

DCGS

Official LRH SPONSOR
Trying out some different loads on my 6x47 with the 105 bergers today. The groups were ok but not good enough for me so I tried some Amax''s The Amax's were far better. The group was 1/2 the size of the bergers and the spread went from 15 fps to 4 fps. This afternoon I tried it out on a groundhog at 312 yds. Dead groundhog. I know this is not 1000 yds but where I live it is hard to get one that far. Just thought I would share that with you guys. Happy Holiday. Dan

The A-Max is a fine bullet. It wasn't that many years ago that someone shooting 6mm 105 A-Max bullets set a new 1000 yard record at Missoula Montana.

I like Bergers, but that doesn't mean other bullets are no good. Shoot what works from your rifle and for you!

Regards, Guy

i haven't had the pleasure of shooting bergers as i can't easily buy them. however i have shot amax's and i really like them. An accointance of mine competes with them and i believe he won provincials with them in 7mm rem mag. Your gun will like what it likes. regardless of what brand they are. I say don't descriminate by brand. who knows the cheap ones might be great. you never know ;)

I worked with the Berger more than I did the Amax. I have had good luck with Bergers before in my 6br and my 7rum. I shot a 1.399 gr at 600 yds in the 6br and a 5.402 group at 1000 yds in the 7rum. I think that the hunting Bergers are just a little different which was what I was using in the 6x47. I have 2 friends with a 6brx abd 6 dasher that has had similar results with the hunting vld. They tried them when they could not get the target bullets. Dan

I didn't have any intent to speak against the Amax bullet and would not have referred to the link if I would have known of your level of experience with Bergers.

All of the replies are accurate.

I would be interested in learning the velocity you were shooting with the 7 RUM. It's a very intriguing cartridge.

I am getting 3150fps with the 180 Berger in the rum. I am using 88.5 grs of Retumbo with Fed 210 primers. The gun has be rebarreled and has only .110 freebore. That is why the lite powder charge. I have no presure at all and could get more but I do understand the bergers wll come apart much over 3200 and it shoots really well there. Dan

You're getting some excellent accuracy at 600 & 1000 yards!

You could shove the 180's a little faster and see what happens... Last few years I've been sending the little 115 gr Berger Hunting VLD's downrange at about 3200 fps from my .25-06, and have taken three mule deer along with coyotes with that combo. No bullet problems. All deer dropped instantly, at 175, 230 & 400 yards. Coyotes really get ripped up on bullet exit, no doubt. Accuracy is good, but not like you're getting - then again I'm running a factory built Rem 700 CDL with a 6x scope, not a target/varmint type rifle.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.