berger vs Amax

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DCGS, May 30, 2010.

1. DCGS

DCGS <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

Trying out some different loads on my 6x47 with the 105 bergers today. The groups were ok but not good enough for me so I tried some Amax''s The Amax's were far better. The group was 1/2 the size of the bergers and the spread went from 15 fps to 4 fps. This afternoon I tried it out on a groundhog at 312 yds. Dead groundhog. I know this is not 1000 yds but where I live it is hard to get one that far. Just thought I would share that with you guys. Happy Holiday. Dan

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

3. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

The A-Max is a fine bullet. It wasn't that many years ago that someone shooting 6mm 105 A-Max bullets set a new 1000 yard record at Missoula Montana.

I like Bergers, but that doesn't mean other bullets are no good. Shoot what works from your rifle and for you!

Regards, Guy

4. neutral

neutral Active Member

i haven't had the pleasure of shooting bergers as i can't easily buy them. however i have shot amax's and i really like them. An accointance of mine competes with them and i believe he won provincials with them in 7mm rem mag. Your gun will like what it likes. regardless of what brand they are. I say don't descriminate by brand. who knows the cheap ones might be great. you never know ;)

5. DCGS

I worked with the Berger more than I did the Amax. I have had good luck with Bergers before in my 6br and my 7rum. I shot a 1.399 gr at 600 yds in the 6br and a 5.402 group at 1000 yds in the 7rum. I think that the hunting Bergers are just a little different which was what I was using in the 6x47. I have 2 friends with a 6brx abd 6 dasher that has had similar results with the hunting vld. They tried them when they could not get the target bullets. Dan

6. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

I use the bullets that the particular barrel likes: sometimes its Berger, JLK, SMK's or A-Max.

7. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I didn't have any intent to speak against the Amax bullet and would not have referred to the link if I would have known of your level of experience with Bergers.

All of the replies are accurate.

I would be interested in learning the velocity you were shooting with the 7 RUM. It's a very intriguing cartridge.

8. DCGS

I am getting 3150fps with the 180 Berger in the rum. I am using 88.5 grs of Retumbo with Fed 210 primers. The gun has be rebarreled and has only .110 freebore. That is why the lite powder charge. I have no presure at all and could get more but I do understand the bergers wll come apart much over 3200 and it shoots really well there. Dan

9. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

You're getting some excellent accuracy at 600 & 1000 yards!

You could shove the 180's a little faster and see what happens... Last few years I've been sending the little 115 gr Berger Hunting VLD's downrange at about 3200 fps from my .25-06, and have taken three mule deer along with coyotes with that combo. No bullet problems. All deer dropped instantly, at 175, 230 & 400 yards. Coyotes really get ripped up on bullet exit, no doubt. Accuracy is good, but not like you're getting - then again I'm running a factory built Rem 700 CDL with a 6x scope, not a target/varmint type rifle.

Regards, Guy