berger VLD

sdhunterman

hi all! I am wondering if the Berger VLD bullets are designed for hunting or if they more for target shooting... as I am wanting to reload for my .308win and was considering this bullet as a possibility!!

I called Berger about the same question and I talked to Eric their bullet tech. I was told the VLD line of bullets are a great bullet for deer sized game at close or long range. Up close it will go in and destroy the vitals like a ballistic tip and at longer range the bullet will still give good expansion. Eric told me lots of people are starting to use the VLD line for hunting and are having great results. This hunting season I will be using the 210gr VLD in my 300win the 105gr in my 6-284 and the 180gr in my 7mm STW. Infact I will be hopefuly shooting yotes with the 210 and 105 sunday if everything works out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you have questions about a certain bullet give Berger a call and ask for Eric.

Well you can take it for what it's worth, but here is a plate we have at 500yds.
PC240004B.jpg

If you look you will see multiple impacts which have been painted over. These are mostly from various "hunting bullets" out of a 300 RUM, including Sorrico's, Bonded Cores, Interbonds, and the major crators which aren't painted Berger 210gr VLD's. All of the other bullets weighed from 117grs, through 200gr's. By and far the Bergers have wholloped the plate WAY more extensively that the others. For a "varmint bullet", I would say they have a darn good chance of anchoring just about anything you wanted to point them at.

Here is another pic I took of it when we were up there a couple weeks back. These were both Bergers as well as Wildcat 210's
P1210026.jpg

If your going with weights under 150grs, then you might stick with just critters, but heavier than that, for deer and just about anything else within reason, I wouldn't have a problem with them.

I have shot 2 coyotes with the 210g VLD out of a 300 RUM. Muzzle velocity is 3000fps. They have not been long shots by any means, 120, and 275, but boy do they leave some nasty exits. Both coyotes, you could stick both fists through them and still have some room. I would like to use them on deer this year. I think they work amazingly well. Of course your muzzle velocity is going to be a lot slower, so maybe expansion might not be as violent coming from a .308. I have hit my steel gong at 1150 with the 210g VLD's and they leave a dimple about 1/4" deep, and theres a decent bulge on the other side. They smack it with some authority when it gets there as well. I wouldn't use them on anything tough like a bear or elk.

I've shot a number of coyotes at LR with the 190 VLD's., and think it is an excellent LR coyote bullet! ( As long as you don't want to keep the fur )

I have used 190 VLD on elk with outstanding success! Last year the shot was 641 yards and it was 1 and done. His back feet hit his belly befor his butt hit the ground. The load was 69 gr IMR 4350 @ 2990 fps. They work great on elk!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.