Berger VLD

Jscrapmetal

I have killed 3 bucks this year with my 300 WM. I reload with the 210VLD's. All 3 bucks have been inside 75 yards. 1 buck dropped 1 ran 20 yards and 1 ran 40 yards. All 3 had massive internal damage. Just throwing this out there for people that think they wont work up close.

Thanks for the info! I just recently decided to jump on the VLD bandwagon and start some load development for my 280, but I was worried about close shots

180's in my 7 SAUM have been awesome this year. 1 deer and 1 antelope under 150 yds with great exit holes. Golf ball sized or bigger. DRT! 1 deer at 325 and same thing. I like how they are working. Bruce

This year was my first using Berger. We shot two bears with 250 grain elite hunters one at 170, and the other at 425 with 338 RUM, both dropped in their tracks, loads at 2970. My boy shot a 6X6 bull with 6.5-06 with 140 VLD at 520 yds, loads at 2800. 2 shots Both penetrated shoulder and chest cavity. Bull dropped with in 10 yards.

I had one not open much out of 338 RUM with 250 gr on a Coues deer. Cant say the bullet didn't perform just big heavy bullet on small thin skinned game doesn't have good results sometimes.

No complaints about bergers here

I have posted this before, hope it isn't getting old:

My friends and I use the 115 VLD in five 257 weatherbys and one 257 Roberts. It is getting harder to keep up with the number of animals taken and to my knowledge all one shot kills. One kill is firmly placed in my mind. A friend shot my 257 Weatherby at a coues wt at 400 yd broadside. He did a double lung shot. I saw a spray of blood come out of the entrance hole and watched the deer drop instantly. It never even twitched after the shot. As in most instances the bullet exited.

Number of big game animals taken with this bullet:

19 coues wt
6 elk
4 mule deer
2 antelope
2 javelina

I also use the 168 VLD in my 284 win vel 2835 fps. I shot a coues wt last year at 450 yds. Opened up nicely and exited.

Nothing wrong with those VLDs. The 230 gr 30 cal match hybrid has shown itself to work well on elk, moose and Barbary sheep.

Only my 6mm-284 varmint rig doesn't use Berger bullets.....

I have killed 3 bucks this year with my 300 WM. I reload with the 210VLD's. All 3 bucks have been inside 75 yards. 1 buck dropped 1 ran 20 yards and 1 ran 40 yards. All 3 had massive internal damage. Just throwing this out there for people that think they wont work up close.

My son harvested a MT muley buck bedded at 75 yards last week with 215 Berger out of my .300 WSM at 2750 FPS MV. Not the ideal shot; he had to shoot an opening between two bushes, it was a quick and humane harvest (DRT) nonetheless. Despite how the exit hole looks, meat damage wasn't too bad.

Attachments

• Em 1 of 2.jpg
    Em 1 of 2.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.