Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

will we have to give Obama the salesman of the year award AGAIN?

If all he does is increase sales then yes, he will win the salesman of the year honor again. If he actually does the things that people are afraid of then I don't know what award he will get but it won't be an honorable one.

Eric

A few thoughts from the horse's mouth on the 7mm 195 gr.

Something to keep in mind about the 7mm 195 gr, we are making it with the idea in mind that it will be pushed hard in larger cases. The heavier weight and sleek design is a big leap forward in performance (if it works). In smaller cases much MV will be lost due to the heavy weight which may produce a wash in performance compared to 180

Regards,
Eric

I for one shoot a lazzeroni firebird and am in the process of re-barrelling mine.. it will most certainly be getting a faster twist pipe with intentions to load that big 195. I've got my-own theory as to routes around the rifling shredding jackets at high-velocity.. I have also run into problems blowing-up the 168's with that excessive velocity attainable with the "larger cases" mentioned above. Mine will be re-barrelled with "that" in mind & considered as well. I'm glad there is a manufacturer interested in developing bullets (with such a desired BC & design) to utilize the capacity and potetial of these often frowned-upon cartridges...

Most certainly am anxious to get my-own hands on-them* I hope you guys at Berger consider us-guys NORTH of the border when the time comes for shipments to start moving!

After they (195 grainers) past the tests i'd like to see them on the EOL store for preordering them, i cant wait much longer to get these in my hands!

A few thoughts from the horse's mouth on the 7mm 195 gr.

The bullet tooling is finished and has been tested with successful results. This means that we can make bullets that match the design dimensions, nothing more. We used prototype jackets since the length of the jacket we needed was not certain.

Now that the length of the jacket needed is known we have it in our schedule to make standard issue, J4 match grade jackets. The fact is that the election has us overwhelmed with demand. This means only that we can't get these jackets made tomorrow but they will be made soon.

Then, they will be sent to Bob and a few other folks (Kirby for one) to be tested and abused. If these tests prove to be positive then the bullets will be regularly available as soon as we make more (once the test results are confirmed). I won't BS you. This could take 2 to 12 month depending on what happens during the testing phase.

I'll remind everyone that this is a totally new concept. It is in fact not as close to the recently tested 270 cal 170 gr bullet as Bob posted about. The 170 gr is outside the norm but not nearly as much as the 195 gr. Having said that, the 270 cal 170 gr has performed well in abuse testing and is now going to terminal performance testing. The good news is that so far everything looks good.

Something to keep in mind about the 7mm 195 gr, we are making it with the idea in mind that it will be pushed hard in larger cases. The heavier weight and sleek design is a big leap forward in performance (if it works). In smaller cases much MV will be lost due to the heavy weight which may produce a wash in performance compared to 180 gr bullets.

I'll admit that this is a generalization based on no factual testing data at this time but I don't want anyone to think that we are creating the next lazer beam. It is still a bullet subject to all the same influences and physics realities as every other bullet.

Regards,
Eric

Any updates Eric? Suspense is killing me...

Unfortunately, little has changed. We are getting hit with a even greater surge of demand due to all the anti-gun legislation being discussed. This has pushed developing projects down the priority list.

I am personally torn since I want this bullet to see the light of day while at the same time we have a huge increase in the number of people who are asking for the bullets we already make.

We are working a plan to slide these jackets in during a run of the 7mm jackets we need for existing bullets. We are also working a plan to add more jacket making machines. Neither will happen quickly but this situation is something that I am very interested in resolving so at least the testing can get started.

Regards,
Eric

These are unusual times since the re-election of the Divider-in-Chief who wants to enlighten us uninformed masses what we should believe in. Now back to reality.

It is truly great that Berger is working to improve the bullets available to the public! Unforeseen things happen that delay products and I for one am more than willing to wait for such a great product. You did not have to say a word until it was on the market. You have saved me a lot of money as I am looking to purchase a new rifle and with out you posting all this great information I would have been very disappointed by making decisions not knowing what was coming. I for one say THANK YOU! Now I am a more informed shooter that can make more informed decisions.

Thats what i figured, i got my brux in about 12 weeks, and it think benchmark is running about 8-12 weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.