Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

The 195's will run again. You never know when you might get to go to Alaska again. I think you made a good choice. Lol

I measure/weigh all my bullets these days. This is what I found with the 195s. Out of a hundred I had 4 that were 1.610, 29 that were 1.615, 58 that were 1.620, 5 that were 1.625 and 4 that were 1.630. Measurements were +/- .002". The good news is that they were all within .001" or .002" measured base to ogive. The weights were mostly at 195gr with a few +/- .2gr. My VLD seater is bottoming out on the tips so I'm going to have to drill it out so it only seats on the ogive otherwise my ogive to lands distance will be all over the place. Which seating dies are best for the VLD bullets?

I measure/weigh all my bullets these days. This is what I found with the 195s. Out of a hundred I had 4 that were 1.610, 29 that were 1.615, 58 that were 1.620, 5 that were 1.625 and 4 that were 1.630. Measurements were +/- .002". The good news is that they were all within .001" or .002" measured base to ogive. The weights were mostly at 195gr with a few +/- .2gr. My VLD seater is bottoming out on the tips so I'm going to have to drill it out so it only seats on the ogive otherwise my ogive to lands distance will be all over the place. Which seating dies are best for the VLD bullets?
Thanks for the report.... I use a forster comp bullet seating die, it works well with the 180's but not sure about 195's.... redding has stems for vld's as well... I always check my neck run out and bullet concentricity just to confirm my uniformity and consistency.... Whidden makes a good set of dies if you have a wild cat.... you would be better off confirming seating stems from someone that has the 195's in hand though.

I have a forster BR (i think) die and had no problems seating the 195's, but I did not check concentricity. Just doing pretty simple load testing yielded 2 different <0.25" groups. Later this month I think I'll have the chance to take them to 1000.

I have a forster BR (i think) die and had no problems seating the 195's, but I did not check concentricity. Just doing pretty simple load testing yielded 2 different <0.25" groups. Later this month I think I'll have the chance to take them to 1000.
what gun are you running them in? What kind of velocities were you getting?

Blacktail,
Forster benchrest and micrometer top seaters come standard with VLD seating stems. Redding Competition and standard seating dies you have to buy a replacement VLD seating stem for the competiton dies. For the standard dies you have to buy the micrometer seater plug assembly with the VLD seating stem. L.E. Wilson hand die seaters require that you buy a VLD stem. Hornady and RCBS do not offer an optional VLD seating stem that I know of at this time.

Any velocity data?

Well.... we got the rifle over the Oehler 35 today.....

The low was 2922 and the high was 2941 for the five shots over the chrono after the foulers. An x of 19 fps for 5 shots isn't that bad...

I fired a .907" 200m group with her today...
I put my Pops on the rifle to prove the load and he settled in for a .712" group at 200m after the barrel cooled from my groups...

Pretty good for the amount of powder you are giving it. That is a 9 twist too, isn't it? And you aren't at a very high elevation there either. If you get it out to 1000 yards and it still stabilizes, ay have to think about just rechambering my Sendero with the 9.25 twist

If it gives you any hope at all, I have tried the 180 VLDs in my 280 AI with a stiff dose of I7977, reaching 2880.... in a 9 twist 24 in pipe, which I presume is Pac-Nor... possibly wiseman. whatever Nosler is using for a vendor these days.gun)

60 of I7977 (WLRM) with the 180 Hunting VLD gave about .6 @ 100m..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts