Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Thanks Barefoot, I understand that portion. I just needed to know if there is a decay of bullet rpm at extended range. I don't think that the spin of the bullet is constant but I just wanted to have it verified by someone who understood the physics of bullet flight. I know the decreased bullet velocity decreases aerodynamic torque but I wanted to know if this stays true for the bullet during its entire path in supersonic flight. I appreciate the response though.
I just want to make sure I have the right amount of twist for the bullet to stabilize at extreme distances.

The bold words above make all the difference. If the bullet comes out of the muzzle with adequate stability, then it will be adequately stable thru it's entire supersonic flight (down to about 1340 fps).

Below that speed, many other complexities add up to a lot of gray area. Much of this is covered in "Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting".

Long range hunters are seldom concerned with these issues though, as most hunting bullets (including Berger) only offer reliable expansion down to impact velocities of around 1800 fps. So you hit the terminal/lethality constraint before you get to transonic stability issues.

-Bryan

The bold words above make all the difference. If the bullet comes out of the muzzle with adequate stability, then it will be adequately stable thru it's entire supersonic flight (down to about 1340 fps).

Below that speed, many other complexities add up to a lot of gray area. Much of this is covered in "Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting".

Long range hunters are seldom concerned with these issues though, as most hunting bullets (including Berger) only offer reliable expansion down to impact velocities of around 1800 fps. So you hit the terminal/lethality constraint before you get to transonic stability issues.

-Bryan

Bryan, 1340 FPS is where the best place to establish our elevation/drops corrections/truing, right?

Bryan, 1340 FPS is where the best place to establish our elevation/drops corrections/truing, right?

That's correct. Don't worry about getting a range where you're right at 1340, but that's the basic range you want to be in. That is to say you don't want to true at 300-400 yards, nor deep into subsonic. Try to find a range near transonic (1340).

-Bryan

Thanks guys, I was about to pony up for a few boxes until I realized I'm shooting a 1:9.... booo hooo.. maybe after a re-barrel. I may have gotten away w/ the 1:9 if it was a screamer but its only a 284.

If you can get them now, get a box. That way you will have them on hand when the rebarrel happens. Try a few, maybe they will stabilize.

I have a 1:9 and the 200g Wildcat bullets will stabilize, but I'm pushing them a bit faster than you can.

If you can get them now, get a box. That way you will have them on hand when the rebarrel happens. Try a few, maybe they will stabilize.

I have a 1:9 and the 200g Wildcat bullets will stabilize, but I'm pushing them a bit faster than you can.

That's what I did. I just ordered 2 boxes. Could be a while before I get my project together. But once it is ready to go, I don't want to have to wait for components!

I just talked to Bob at EOL about them and he said the bearing surface is .504 compared the .459 for the 180 Hybrid and .462 for the 168. I'm going to order some to make a dummy round for my 7-338 Norma Imp. reamer and see what I come up with for a throat. I may just order my normal 168 throat (.188") and seat them in the case a bit further.

Bob also said they are working on a 155ish 6.5mm (over .700 BC) and a 245ish .30 (over .800BC) but it's most likely going to be a long time before they happen. I guess a 6.5-338 Norma Imp is going to happen for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.