Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Coming soon , any day now , will not disappoint blah blah blah. When the last 300 or so Bergers on my bench are gone I will be finished with rifles that use Bergers in their load. The rifle that still shoots them will be rebarreled and there won't be Bergers in the new loads. Got tired of waiting and other small makers have filled the spots that Berger used to.

7mm Shooter,
Why do you need that much velocity?

I don't necessarily, I'm just trying to think of a combo that will mag feed the 195s in a Tikka t3 because that will probably be my next factory rifle. I've got a 7mm Rem Mag 700 to try them in when it gets a new barrel. I like the shorter throw of the T3, but am hoping (unnecessarily) that I can come close to matching the 7mm rem mag with a shorter, mag feedable round.2700fps pretty much equals the 338 Lapua from what I've seen.

I don't necessarily, I'm just trying to think of a combo that will mag feed the 195s in a Tikka t3 because that will probably be my next factory rifle. I've got a 7mm Rem Mag 700 to try them in when it gets a new barrel. I like the shorter throw of the T3, but am hoping (unnecessarily) that I can come close to matching the 7mm rem mag with a shorter, mag feedable round.2700fps pretty much equals the 338 Lapua from what I've seen.
7mmShooter,
2700 fps would be nice but you have to take what the rifle likes. You will have to test to find that. Start at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/ cartridge you are testing for and work up checking your accuracy and for pressure signs. If the T3 has a shorter barrel than the 700 AND since I believe your TIKKA has a detachable box magazine that MAY restrict any bullet seating depth testing lengths the 700 with its ability to have a longer magazine box fitted to the stock ( Wyatts Outdoor Custom Rifles on the net) that on average gives you another .110 in magazine length to seating depth test in MAY have more of a chance to get you to 2700 fps than the T3. Again, IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT THE RIFLE LIKES.

su37,
Industry minimums for adequate bullet performance on game is 1800 FPS and 1100 foot pounds of force minimum applied to the animal.

7mmShooter,
2700 fps would be nice but you have to take what the rifle likes. You will have to test to find that. Start at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/ cartridge you are testing for and work up checking your accuracy and for pressure signs. If the T3 has a shorter barrel than the 700 AND since I believe your TIKKA has a detachable box magazine that MAY restrict any bullet seating depth testing lengths the 700 with its ability to have a longer magazine box fitted to the stock ( Wyatts Outdoor Custom Rifles on the net) that on average gives you another .110 in magazine length to seating depth test in MAY have more of a chance to get you to 2700 fps than the T3. Again, IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT THE RIFLE LIKES.

su37,
Industry minimums for adequate bullet performance on game is 1800 FPS and 1100 foot pounds of force minimum applied to the animal.

I'm not clear on this comment. Are you saying both criteria must be met or either one?

Using 3000 fps muzzle velocity and your 230 gr hybrid 30 caliber bullet as an example, it meets both at 1000 yards but it meets the energy requirement at 1400 yards.

Thanks for the advice Phil, and the T3 is physically limited to 3.4" oal. All I would need to do to get enough of that overall length capability would be to switch to the long action magnum magazine and put the full length bolt release in. I plan on testing them in my 700 before I decide whether I get the T3 or not. The floor plate on my 700 will allow almost 3.7" cartridge OAL, so that should be enough to start with. Keep up the good work, what's next after the 7mm 195 and the 170gr 277? 375 cal or 408 possible? That would fill one hell of a hole in the market!

For sure, a Berger Hybrid Target .375 in the 350-400 grain range would be simply badass. I have wildcat dreams similar to the Viers' project. Suitable actions are pricey and the 350 SMK just doesn't blow my skirt up. Berger could push me over the hump.

I'm not clear on this comment. Are you saying both criteria must be met or either one?

Using 3000 fps muzzle velocity and your 230 gr hybrid 30 caliber bullet as an example, it meets both at 1000 yards but it meets the energy requirement at 1400 yards.
Edd,
Both sir.

Thanks for the advice Phil, and the T3 is physically limited to 3.4" oal. All I would need to do to get enough of that overall length capability would be to switch to the long action magnum magazine and put the full length bolt release in. I plan on testing them in my 700 before I decide whether I get the T3 or not. The floor plate on my 700 will allow almost 3.7" cartridge OAL, so that should be enough to start with. Keep up the good work, what's next after the 7mm 195 and the 170gr 277? 375 cal or 408 possible? That would fill one hell of a hole in the market!
7mmshooter,
277 is next. Sometime this fall as of now.
chuckhammer,
The .375 is not on our radar at the moment but put in a request at the CONTACT US tab on our main page. The more of these we see could help this situation!

I was reading in the long range rifles section of this website and discovered that Len Backus already has some 195 gr 7mm Berger bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.