Berger Match Hybrid Target 215 gr for Hunting?

Last two elk I watched get shot with 215's about 450 yard range , grazing , perfect lung shoots , took 30 seconds to fall over and we're a bloodshot mess. Even worse at closer distance . Got several pencils with them in 7mm and 338. Lot of them work but too many failures for me. I'm not drinking that kool-aid any more !!

Attachments

• 1454B5E3-1C12-44E2-A5D7-31DCABB5AACD.jpeg
    1454B5E3-1C12-44E2-A5D7-31DCABB5AACD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
to be honest at the distance you are talking. Heck even out to 600.
I'd load the 181 or 180 hammers.
A because you can get a great load developed in short time and not have to worry about shoulder shots. I took a massive boar at 523 yards through both shoulders with the 181 in my win mag. Took my elk with same bullet at 80 yards both shoulders and done.

to be honest at the distance you are talking. Heck even out to 600.
I'd load the 181 or 180 hammers.
A because you can get a great load developed in short time and not have to worry about shoulder shots. I took a massive boar at 523 yards through both shoulders with the 181 in my win mag. Took my elk with same bullet at 80 yards both shoulders and done.
I dont have time to get them and develop a new load. My choices are 215 Berger hybrid, 180 Barnes TTSX or 180 Partition at this point.

I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy your hunt and when it comes time to pull the trigger do it with confidence and accurately. Aim for a double lung, if you don't have a shot just wait a few minutes you will get one.
this is how I hunt with Bergers, boiler room only and they work every time.

Near or far they kill very well! They are overkill up close but do just fine. They aren't as nasty as the 178 eldx that's for sure. I prefer rib shots with them but they'll get thru about anything and open impressive wound channels. Instead of neutering my 300 with a hard bullet to minimize damage, I'd rather step back in cartridge size and maximize the damage it does and enjoy less recoil and full freezers.

The 215 Berger is probably one of the best .30 caliber hunting bullets ever made. Yes, the box says "target". But the results don't lie and you rarely, if ever, hear of a bad experience from someone using them to kill deer, elk, antelope, etc. I recommend you not take to advice from someone that has dismissed them as a hunting bullet because the box doesn't say "hunting bullet". If your gun shoots them accurately, you have a great bullet for your gun.

Your 300 with 215 Bergers @ 2800 fps will give you 1780 fps and 1500 ft lb of energy at sea level. This improves at higher elevations. In my opinion 1500 lbs of energy is the minimum for game of this size, so you should be good to 850 yards. However, as was stated in a previous post, shot placement is important. The 215 grain Berger is a great bullet, (not a magic bullet) it can be very accurate when loaded accurately, and will bring down an Elk efficiently with proper placement, go for optimal bone and organ damage, you have the bullet and energy to do the job. I do not advocate opening the meplat as it changes BC and if not done consistently will reduce accuracy as well as range. You don't need another variable in long range hunting.
Agreed. When I clean the tips all I do is make sure they are open, I never enlarge the hole diameter.

Last two elk I watched get shot with 215's about 450 yard range , grazing , perfect lung shoots , took 30 seconds to fall over and we're a bloodshot mess. Even worse at closer distance . Got several pencils with them in 7mm and 338. Lot of them work but too many failures for me. I'm not drinking that kool-aid any more !!
Id be more concerned about meat loss but from what Ive read the Aoudads are not great food quality

Berger Match will enter and begin to mushroom and frag. They kill primarily by coming apart. Again shot placement soft tissue stay off hard should bone. Check out Steve's Outdoor Adventure program they had a reasonable video on testing several bullets into gel blocks.

If that's completely true, they would not "pencil through", can't be both ways. Make shots based on distance and remaining velocity then, but I think a 215 grain 30 cal projectile blowing up in a shoulder will put the animal down fairly soon there after.