Berger Hunting DVD

Eric Stecker

I have received some complaints that our Game Hunting with Berger Bullets video shows long range shots that are unethical. To respond to this concern we are sending the following letter out with every DVD.

(beginning of letter)

Please read this letter before watching the Game Hunting with Berger Bullets DVD.

Thank you for your interest in hunting with Berger Bullets Match VLDs and for taking the time to watch our Game Hunting with Berger Bullets DVD. The purpose of this video is to show you what happens when the Berger Match VLD bullets are used on big game. This video is a compilation of shots taken by the hunting TV show The Best of the West.

During this video you will see shots taken at both short and long range. Some of the shots are taken at ranges that are further than more common hunting distances. By showing these long range shots we are in no way suggesting that hunters take these shots without being completely prepared to do so.

The very important aspect of these long range shots that is not on this video is that when these shots are taken during the TV show, they spend a considerable amount of time going over all the critical requirements for long range hunting. They thoroughly discuss the equipment needed and the extensive practice on paper and steel target that is required at these distances before attempting a long range shot on game.

Neither Berger Bullets nor The Best of the West hunting TV show promotes long range hunting by those who are not thoroughly prepared to take long range shots. Long range hunting is a specific type of hunting that requires specialized equipment and extensive practice on long range targets. No hunter should attempt a shot on game that they have not made successfully in practice numerous times.

Many hunters have been told for a long time that "match" bullets are not good for hunting. The truth is that the Berger Match VLDs are very effective at all ranges and are being described as the most effectively lethal bullets ever used on game by many highly experienced and knowledgeable hunters.

Extensive testing in media and in the field has proved this result. The purpose of this video is so you can see for yourself what will happen when you use Berger Match VLD on your next hunt. When you try them we strongly recommend that you do not take a shot that is beyond a range with which you have extensive experience. To do so would be unethical and unnecessary.

Within this video is a short commercial for another video produced by The Best of the West. This other video is 10 hours of instruction on the gear and type of practice that is needed for ethical long range hunting for those of you who are interested. The video you are about to watch was created solely for the purpose of showing you that Berger Match VLDs are an excellent bullet choice for game at all ranges.

(end of letter)

If you have received our hunting video and have been concerned with these images then I hope this explains the situation. If you have not seen the video and would like to please send a request for the hunting DVD and your shipping address to [email protected]. A DVD will be sent to you at no charge.

I am curious to hear the opinions of those who have seen it regarding the long range shots.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
Berger Bullets

I have seen the video. I have showed it to many of my hunting buddies. I have not one problem with it in the world. My buddies say that shoots like that are way out of there league but with the proper shooting skills and practice that it can be done. None of us see anything wrong with it at all. It was enjoyable to watch.

When I'm able to save I'm going to get some in 30 cal and try them.

VERY NICE VIDEO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redbone... it is a BERGER video.

the email is above in his post... just click on it and ask them to send one to your address....

ERIC,

I think most of us on this site realize what it takes to make these shots, but your letter is probably a good idea for most folks.

It is sometimes quite silly this world we live in....

Thanks!

Eric, I got the DVD sometime back a couple or three weeks ago I think!

I've shown it to many of my friends also! And we all know what it takes to make these kind of shots. Like the others and Sendero man said it's a shame in todays world there are too many idiots who don't know their own limitations!

But, I just ordered some Berger 210 VLDs today as a matter of fact! Will be shooting them out of my .300 Win Mag.

Thanks for the DVD and for the great bullets.

Chuck

Eric,
That letter is practically mandatory to have due to the lack of knowledge in long range shooting, this site loves the Berger bullets, my 16 years old, who has been doing his homework at shooting long distances and his liffle 12 years old friend, this month using their Jr. Tags got their deer at 430 yards for the 12 years old using a 25-06 and your bulles and the 16 y/o got his deer at 482 yards using a 300 RUM and the 210 gr. Berger Bullet.
I relly believe that it's a great bullet, for target, for hunting and just about for anything you want to hit.

17 Years old, using a 257 Roberts, 115 gr. Berger Bullets @ 275 yards. The rifle belonged to his Grandfather.
fwnkgn.jpg

What a sad sad world we live where we have to pamper to those ignorant and stupid enough to try and take those long shots without training and lots of it. :confused:

Please don't faulter Eric in the face of adversity, we need you and your fine bullets, keep up the good work.

HP

Eric, great letter, pretty well covers the bases. a bit off topic but was wondering if you need anyone else to test your 338 bullets. i'll even do it for free. that's right, won't charge you anything to test them on game this year! just let me know.

I recieved your DVD in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I was really impressed with the footage and so were some of my friends, I would not hesitate to try your bullets on biggame.

I think your video really emphasized that the people taking these longer shots at 700 yards plus were very experienced shooters at long range. And explained the fact that alot of practice and experience was needed to cleanly take animals. Yet I don't doubt people had a cow anyways. You know the type, purist.

What is really sad here, is that so many people seem to be offended by so many things.

NEWSFLASH:
NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO BE UN-OFFENDED!!

This is one of the root problems with this society,and as is the case with most of them, you can thank a liberal for it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
All,

I really appreciate the feedback. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something obviously inappropriate. We put a lot of thought and effort into the video but no one is perfect.

Berger is growing and it seems that the more popular we get the more we find folks that feel strongly about something that I consider common sense. We are used to dealing with knowledgeable shooters who know such things to be true without being told.

I guess there are good reasons why there is a sticker on my lawn mower telling me not to put my fingers in the blades. Thank God for that sticker or I'd be typing with my nose.

We'll be compelled to provide this type of "guidance" to those who need it so when you see a "Do Not Eat" label on a box of bullets you will know why.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that we deal with shooters at every level and no one is born with the knowledge that a skilled hunter needs so the more good information the better and we want to help shooters learn. The complaints I am receiving are coming from hunting veterans who feel justified by their many years of experience to tell me how we should do things. These folks ought to know better which is why I thought we had maybe done something wrong.

Davewilson,

Thanks for volunteering for the 338 cal testing. We are about 6 to 9 months away from getting this bullet made so check back with me around April or May 2008. We will need some good shooters to test the three different designs we are making.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:
Hi Eric
I sent you an email in regards to getting my hands on the Berger DVD.

Long range hunting is becoming very popular here so I picking you will see Berger sales in New Zealand picking up soon!
Alot of our target shooters are already using them, I have a box of 168gn .284 but have yet to try them

Rgds, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.