Berger Bullets update BC's on all their bullets

Just a -1% change for the 210 VLD. That's great. Wish they could have published this in the summer. I have my load and my elk hunt starts next week. I am already at base camp. Cannot change anything now... Was shooting at 750 yards today with no issues. This is with having my zero set at 210 ft. elevation and now shooting at 6000 ft. Using absolute pressure and the List published BCs.

Just a -1% change for the 210 VLD. That's great. Wish they could have published this in the summer. I have my load and my elk hunt starts next week. I am already at base camp. Cannot change anything now... Was shooting at 750 yards today with no issues. This is with having my zero set at 210 ft. elevation and now shooting at 6000 ft. Using absolute pressure and the List published BCs.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. With only a 1% change and only shooting out to 750 yards you won't see the change. Just go kill something!

Interesting to see the change in BC between the Hunting VLDs and the Target VLDs. Other than the thicker jackets they were supposedly the same. I had my suspicions long ago when I couldn't find any hunting VLD's and used some target VLD's to get me by. My come ups were completely different. They still shot good, but past 400 yards things started changing considerably. Wish my 6.5 140's would have gone up 2% instead of down 2%.

STOMP,

The following is the reply I posted to your question in the other forum, reposting here because it's a good question, and others may benefit from the answer:

Why is there a difference in BC now and what caused it? Looking at the 6.5 140's and the 6mm 105s specifically.

The thick and thin jacket (Target and Hunting) versions of a bullet are made using the same shape BT and ogive dies. This is why we've always cited their dimensions as 'equal'. Although they are very close to being equal, there are subtle differences in the lengths and other dimensions which manifest as differences in BC. The updated quick reference sheet (http://www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/Quick-Reference-Sheets.pdf ) lists the dimensions of each bullet. These dimensions, like the updated BC's, are running averages of recent production lots, and reflect the actual dimensions and performance of each individual bullet as opposed to representing both with the same numbers.

In the case of the 6mm 105 VLD, there's a greater than average difference between the Hunting and Target versions. The reason is the thick jacket Target version of the bullet won't eject from the ogive forming die with the smaller knock out pin, and so a larger knock out pin is used for that bullet. This results in the thick jacket bullet having a larger meplat (tip) than the hunting version, and a lower BC. You can read more details in this article that was published back in 2010 when the change took place: Change to 6mm 105 gr VLD Target Bullet | Berger Bullets Blog Note the exact numbers have been updated since that article was written, but the explanation is accurate.

In most cases the thin and thick jacket VLD's use the same knock out pin and the difference between their BC's are not as great. Unfortunately the 6mm 105 suffered a hit on the target version due to the larger knock out pin being required.

-Bryan

Now if only all the other bullet makers did the same to verify and update their bullets with real world BC's instead of using generated and grossly inflated #'s because they look good!

Is this a report on the W3P bullets not measuring up to promotional BCs?

After the many claims to fame, there's been a dearth of reporting on field-measured and proven drops.

Brian,
When will Shooter app and other ballistic apps be updated with this data? Thanks.

Is this a report on the W3P bullets not measuring up to promotional BCs?

After the many claims to fame, there's been a dearth of reporting on field-measured and proven drops.

Y'know ..... I wish I had something to report on those W3P bullets but being as I haven't got squat in 1 year and 4 months it's kinda hard to generate any kind of data ...... My 375 caliber addiction led me astray, blind faith can be a real bitch when your vision is restored !

In the meantime I've been killin stuff with the tried, verified and true Berger Elite Hunter bullets with outstanding results ........

With the 195 gr 7mm out and in the hands of shooters heres to hoping that Litz, Stecker and the Berger bunch will surprise us with the 360 gr and 410 gr 375 gr Hybrid bullets Litz mentioned a while back , I'd like a thou of each just to start the celebration !

Y'know ..... I wish I had something to report on those W3P bullets but being as I haven't got squat in 1 year and 4 months it's kinda hard to generate any kind of data ...... My 375 caliber addiction led me astray, blind faith can be a real bitch when your vision is restored!

Good to hear you're out hunting.

Guess that helps explain why there's no reporting on the W3P bullets. If their BC values weren't sufficient for them to arrive in transit, then they were obviously deficient!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.