Berger 6mm 115gr VLD Hunter

Or you could be like me. Only fired 50 rounds out of my 22-284 in 5 years! Interests changed and other guns to shoot. Don't know why they call them barrel burners. Mine will last forever lol.

I have a 30" barrel, 8tw, Mauser in 240Wby that gets about 3275 with the 115 Bergers.
Accuracy is sub 0.5 MOA. Brass lasts only 1-2 firings. I have killed probably 5-8 antelope at ranges from 800 yd to 1100 yards, One or two eastern (small) white tail deer at 300 yards. A couple of pigs at ranges up to 600 yards. The Berger expands well at all ranges and the high sectional density allows it to penetrate well.
The bullet resists deformation at 3275fps, I do not know how well it would stand up to higher velocities and /or faster twists 686buck.jpg Bateshole4_edited.jpg pig2.jpg

Last edited:
I had problems with the 115gr Berger's in my 8twist 6mm-06 6groove lilja barrel. I came to the conclusion I was having jacket core separation issues but I have no way to prove it. It would pressure up quickly and then accuracy would go to hell. I gave up on the 115's and switched to the 105 vlds at 3300fps with RL33. I have some of the new sierra 110's that I'm going to play with this winter if I get a break. The sierras have a thicker jacket then the bergers and will handle the speeds your talking about better then the bergers thin jackets.

I had problems with the 115gr Berger's in my 8twist 6mm-06 6groove lilja barrel. I came to the conclusion I was having jacket core separation issues but I have no way to prove it. It would pressure up quickly and then accuracy would go to hell. I gave up on the 115's and switched to the 105 vlds at 3300fps with RL33. I have some of the new sierra 110's that I'm going to play with this winter if I get a break. The sierras have a thicker jacket then the bergers and will handle the speeds your talking about better then the bergers thin jackets.
Interesting. I'll have to call aberger and talk to them a little about this. I was planning to get a 1-7.5" twist as that's the minimum per Berger's site to stabilize the 115s at my elevation in very cold weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.