Berger 270 150 VLD

Anyone had any luck with the 150 VLD in a standard .270 win? I have some and will soon be starting to load some up. I am going to start with IMR4831 and H4831SC. I am intersted in different powders that others have been using. I will post some results when finished.

Don't be dissappointed with 150 BC

The .277 150 Grain Berger VLDs do not have the same ogive as their other VLDs, which correlates with the lower BC. They did this so hunters would not have to seat the bullets at, or into the lands to achieve the same results as with other VLDs, such as the 7mm 168. Why they called them "VLDs" I do not know, b/c they have more of a tangent ogive v. a secant ogive. No disrespect intended towards Berger at all, but, I think it would be less misleading if these .277 VLDs were simply called HPBTs. After all, I do not recall any .277 calibers at benchrest competitions. These bullets were added to satisfy the hunting crowd.

I personally have been extraordinarily impressed with their accuracy in my 270 AM. I have also found that you can, if you wish, treat the 150 VLDs the same as an Accubond or any other hunting bullet for test purposes, i.e., they do not have to be seated into the lands. But, seating bullets at or into the lands is my personal preference for most all of my loads, except for Barnes bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts