HSM 270win. 150gr. Berger VLD

hvfd1610

I was looking at the specs of the above load and the FPS is listed at 3,048. The highest velocity I have found posted in the Lee manual was 3,000 with Acc. Mag Pro which I have bought to try to work up a load with federal Fusion 150's. Which other powders are capable of safely getting me over the 3K mark/ And what powder is HSM using to load there rounds that fast.

I am interested in that answer. I am currently shooting the 150 vlds at around 2750 with 4831sc.

So I have the same issue when hand loading some 6.5 ammo. I pulled the bullet on one of the HSM trophy gold berger lines and it appears there are 2 different powders in the case unless my eyes deceive me. It is probably a propritery blend of powders. I do know some bullet manfactures will post volicity from a bullet and it will be shot out of a longer tube usually a 26 inch barrel. But with that being said I was able to get 3000 to 3020fps in a 24 inch 6.5 using the HSM. It also made my gun bolt somewhat tight when I was extracting the shell. So I pulled all the bullets and dumped the powder out. Using the brass. I am now shooting at around 2850fps and the gun shoots fine. I was chasing the speed thing as well. Best bet is try some the slower burning powders such as reloaders 25, H1000, retumbo. Also you might try the superformer powder by hodgens. Supposed to yield about 50-100fps faster. Just got to find load data though. I have been told that about 58 grains of retumbo in the 6.5x284 with a 26 inch barrel will yield 3000+ but have not tried it. Just my 2 cents.

Good enough on the link. Anyone else with some input?

gun)
(post by 1984nitro)

165 gr VLD in .270 Winchester? So I made it out to shoot some load today. I went with RL-17 on the 165 gn matrix bullets seated to my mag length. I found a sweat velocity and ok accuracy to start testing loads on. my nod was: 51.0gn velocity avg 2859 fps and SD of 15 51.5gn velocity avg 2889 fps and Sd of 21 These were three shots groups were right at 1" not go good but looks good for velocity. I will be testing some loads around this charge and see if a can get the SD and group down. Also this is out of a pac nor 1-10" 26" barrel.
gun)
Click on link
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/165-gr-vld-270-winchester-73897/index3.html

Bumping this for interest as well...just scored a sweet looking mod 70 fwt stainless in .270 and was considering the 150gr VLD after seeing their listed velocity. Anybody actually chrono these loads?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.