Berger 270 150 VLD

tscott

Hi you guys, Berger has had their new bullets for the 270's out for a few months now. Have any of you had time to develope a favorite load? I'm working on a Rem 700, 270 WSM. So far I haven't had much success. Nothing better than 1" groups. My OAL is 2.80 and I think I can go out to 2.82 without any trouble. The powders I have used so far are, RE 22, Retumbo and Ram Shot Mag. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You need to seat them into the lands. Also your power choices(Retumbo in particular) Are a little slow IMO for that bullet. I would try something a little faster(h4831sc would be a good one).

So far I tried IMR7828 SSC powder Winchester cases and WLRM primer. Seated into the lands. 62.0grs. produced 0.75" five shot group. I haven't chronographed it yet.

I am shooting Berger 150 gr vld's, remington brass, remington mag primers, 56.5 gr of H4350. Average fps around 2900.
Total case length 2.745. The bullet needs to be touching the rifling.

***Edited the total case length for me is 2.845***

If you want shoot me a PM with your email address and I can send you an Excel file with all the stuff I have so far...... From what I've seen on the books Retumbo will work well with the 150. I have 10 loaded but have not had the time to shoot them through the chrono to see if the stats that Hodgdon put out are accurate. I've had good luck with them being pretty close to what's on their site.

Thanks for the replies. Any favorite recipes would be appreciated. And thank you Roundss, a PM was sent.

H 1000 worked best in my rifle. It is a 700 SPS with the light barrel and tupperware stock. It shoots about 1 inch at 200 yds.

BC

Dave, The 150 VLD has a .545 BC. I haven't tried the 140's, but there probably a little less than that. I do want to try them. I started with the 150's, thinking I could use the 270 WSM as a back-up for deer and elk.
Good luck

150 Vld

Roy, I was under the impression that .545 was pretty good for that small of a bullet. What are you comparing it to. I'd like to try something different, with a high BC.
Thanks

FYI, the Berger 6.5MM 140grain VLD has a published BC of 0.640 and the 7MM 168 grain VLD has a published BC of 0.643.

So the 270 cal 150 grain VLD BC of 0.545 seems a bit low ...compared to the 6.5 and 7MM ...

Last edited:
I agree w/dwm.

I'll get some and develop the drop chart and see what the actual bc is.

the .5 bc isn't much better than other manufacter's bullets

I have been using the Nosler 140 accubond in my 270wsm with good accuracy results. I tried Richards wildcat 150grn bullets, and could not get them to group at all. The BC of the nosler is advertised at .496. I have found that to be close and not too high. I ended up using about .490 to get accurate drop data in my environment. I also was not impressed with the advertised BC of the berger. with a VLD nose, extra 10grns, and longer boattail, I figured it would be closer to .600, (if the Nosler .496 is close to accurate for the 140grn). I would love to hear some real world drop data at 1k yards.

Joel

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.