Berger 245 EOL Best Cartridge

Running a 26" 300 Win Mag 215 Berger OTMs seated .010 off the lands 2860fps. If you throat the Win Mag long and add a fast twist barrel you should nearly match the PRC within 100 fps. My rifle is a Sako with a 1/11 twist. The 220s are all it will stabilize. We single feed it the Bergers and Flatliners. 198 grain flatliners @ 3000 fps.

The Win Mag case is highly efficient and very similar to the PRC with the exception of the belt. If you throat it like a PRC and run a fast twist barrel ballistics should be within 100 fps or less of each other. Remember the 300 win mag case is basically an Ackleyed 300 H&H, highly efficient and accurate.

That said, I stand by my original recommendation. A 300 RUM is hard to beat in a 30 cal for long range hunting and if I were going to build a new 30 cal, especially if the availability of factory ammo was a consideration, that is the route I would go. JMO🤔View attachment 322890View attachment 322891
It's factory ammunition really a consideration anymore?? (None available) :D

I already have a win mag. Looking for a little more horsepower.

Would it make any sense for me to jump to a 338, keeping in mind the light weight of the rifle (8.5lb complete)? Don't want to be shooting a Lapua, etc at that weight, or I will have some expensive dentist bills.

Would it make any sense for me to jump to a 338, keeping in mind the light weight of the rifle (8.5lb complete)? Don't want to be shooting a Lapua, etc at that weight, or I will have some expensive dentist bills.

Logically, that's the next progression. I have a 300wm and built a 338 Edge for the next step up. They are not similar in the "smack" factor. My edge shoots the 262 hammer hunter at 3K in a 26" barrel. You don't want a gun under 9# with this amount of recoil. A good MB does come into play at this level. You're running 90-103 grs of powder. A 340 weatherby would be a good compromise for less than lapua-type performance.

I will have a hefty muzzle brake on this gun regardless of caliber - probably a terminator T3.

I m on the 3oo nm thought.Thats because I run a 7-2 oz. bare 338 nm for last 11 years .Result lots of stacked up critters.Too way out...

Would you be running a muzzle brake or want a bare muzzle?

Muzzle brake for sure. Terminator t3 likely.
Recoil won't be an issue, even at 8.5 lbs. Here is a video of my buddy shooting my 9.4 lb .338 Norma with a 5 port MBM Beast brake, 300 Bergers at just a shade under 2700 fps from my 24" barrel. We have a T3 on his .338, recoil reduction is pretty much the same, both are very effective.

I have spotted all my impacts with that rifle, the closest was 150 yards, and out to 883, I will add though that the rifle was mounted in a 2.8 lb tripod for most of those shots. However, shooting an 8.5 lb .338 such as a RUM or Edge consistently and accurately at range may be a challenge. My 9.4 lb rig had an effective weight of 12.2 lbs when mounted in the tripod, and made it much more controllable. I do not know how consistent it would be trying to shoot off of a pack at an 8.5 lb all up weight. A 30 cal may be a better option simply for long range shooting consistency.

Very good choice! I'm looking at the 300NMI or the 300 Lapua improved. Haven't made up my mind yet, although, the 300 terminator is in the mix as well.
All good choices depending on your end goal. I didn't choose the Lapua improved or terminator because the velocities they provide with the bullets I like didn't leave me confident of the results until 600+ yds when the Berger's I prefer are closer to the 2600-2750ish range that they are shown to work best at.

If I knew the rifle would never see less then 600 yds shots on game it would have been the 300 Lapua and a 230 hybrid/OTM.

The 245's based on my calculations don't beat the extra speed of the 230's until well past where I would shoot game animals.

All good choices depending on your end goal. I didn't choose the Lapua improved or terminator because the velocities they provide with the bullets I like didn't leave me confident of the results until 600+ yds when the Berger's I prefer are closer to the 2600-2750ish range that they are shown to work best at.

If I knew the rifle would never see less then 600 yds shots on game it would have been the 300 Lapua and a 230 hybrid/OTM.

The 245's based on my calculations don't beat the extra speed of the 230's until well past where I would shoot game animals.
I'm curious at what point were the 245's beating the 230's. I have an area I hunt where the shots on elk can stretch to 1200 or beyond, in perfect conditions.