best cartridge ??

gedsar

I have a model seven action in 308, whats the best cartridge for a bit of long range/ target and be able to handle the odd Sambar??. I am thinking of the 284win, anyone got anything better. Oh yeah I want to keep it fairly cheap, i.e. I'm a machinist so can do the barrel myself and don't want to have to get any outside machinig done, so will have to keep the 308 bolt face.

With a short action and the 308 bolt face the 284 is the biggest case you can get. I'm not familiar w/ the Sambar, but if you can take them w/ a lighter bullet, then ya might think about a 6.5-284. If you are able to get a bigger bolt face then get into the 7mm WSM or the 300 WSM would be a couple good choices. If they are as tough as Elk, think about the 338-300 WSM wildcat.

284 is really handicapped in the rem short actions. you have to seat the bullets too deeply to fit in the mag. Not sure if they have a Wyatts mag box for the model 7 that would allow you to seat the bullets out to take advantage of the 284 ballistics.

BH

if you're a machinist, it's time to learn how to open up a bolt face and chamber a 7saum.

please explain to us here in the states what a Sambar is. never heard of them.

if you're a machinist, it's time to learn how to open up a bolt face and chamber a 7saum.

please explain to us here in the states what a Sambar is. never heard of them.

Sambar (also sambur, sambhur, Tamil: Kadaththi man), is the common name for several large dark brown and maned Asian deer, particularly for the Indian species, which attains a height of 102 to 160 cm (40 to 63 in) at the shoulder and may weigh as much as 1200 pounds (546 kg). The coat is dark brown with chestnut marks on the rump and underparts. The large, rugged antlers are typically rusine, the brow tines being simple and the beams forked at the tip. In some specimens the antlers exceed 101 cm (40 in).

They are the biggest deer species in Oz, there is a legal calibre of .270 (pretty stupid, you can use a 30 carbine but not a 264WM). Mostly at shorter ranges due to the thickness of the bush. I have shot them with a 308 and 284 with no dramas.

Any tips or sites where I can get info on the bolt face mod?. I looked into going to 7WSM before and was told the best way is to get a complete bolt, they were 300ish US and I didn't think it was worth it for the gains over the 284. Is this correct?.

Post a question on the gunsmith portion of this site. I'd look at something like a short mag in that case.

What's wrong with the 308? Later,

Kirk

It wouldn't hit a dinner plate at 200yds after trying heaps of loads, bedding etc. I changed it to a 284 and shot real good, but I got a little over eager with some fluting and wrecked that barrel :eek:

I was talking about the caliber not the rifle. Funny I have not seen a 308 that would not shoot well, heck 200 yards is a chip shot with mine. Granted the 308 does not have the cool factor of some wildcat or magnum rounds it is still a very viable caliber with good accuracy in most all rifles. Later,

Kirk

I had a cute little Mod 7 in .308. Wouldn't shoot, changed out the pretty wood stock for kevlar/fiberglass and carefully bedded it, still wouldn't shoot better than 2 1/2 MOA with anything I tried in it.

Den

.308W is a great cartridge

For a Sambar using a Nosler AccuBond 180/2600 and 200/2500fps at and up to 300 yards. If anything bigger is needed without the hassle, the larger case capacity 30-284W should add all "the needed extras" at minimum cost. Personally, in the Model Seven I wouldn't change the .308W for anything else.

Peter

.308W is one of the easiest

It wouldn't hit a dinner plate at 200yds after trying heaps of loads, bedding etc. I changed it to a 284 and shot real good, but I got a little over eager with some fluting and wrecked that barrel :eek:

Cartridges to shoot well with "anything" and even my pig gun a military barrel .308W Mauser 98 shoots less than a MOA/five shot group with 180SPBT/2630fps. I personally don't know of any loading to exceed a 2 MOA/five shot group in that gun.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts