Berger 245 EOL Best Cartridge

treillw

I want to build a rifle to shoot the Berger 245 EOL. I've read lots of old threads on the subject, but they were from last year when the bullet was new. Now that the bullet has been out (and unavailable lol) for awhile, is there any consensus on what the best cartridge is for these bullets. I've shot some 245s at 2694 fps from my win mag and see reports of nearly 3000 fps with larger cases. I'm looking at the rum and prc the most, but will consider anything really. All the options on 30 cal magnums is kind of overwhelming. I'd like to keep the barrel length on the shorter side - 24" or maybe 26" max. Wind drift is my primary concern in ballistics. It's easy to adjust for gravity. What would you chamber it in? Why? What velocity would you expect? Barrel twist?

Thanks!

Last edited:
For max velocity from a standard type action, make a single feed 300 RUM. If you want a repeater, standard type action, with max velocity, and don't mind a semi wildcat, do a 30 Sherman Magnum (300 PRC improved). If your ok with getting a custom action and want a repeater, then make a 300 Norma. If you don't mind fireforming or wildcats, and your ok with a custom action, and want top velocity, get a 300 Norma Mag improved. If you don't mind a custom action, don't mind possibly single feeding, and want all out top performance, make either a 30-338 Lapua improved. Also on a larger action, 30-378 Weatherby is an option if you don't mind Weatherby cartridges.

I want to build a rifle to shoot the Berger 245 EOL. I've read lots of old threads on the subject, but they were from last year when the bullet was new. Now that the bullet has been out (and unavailable lol) for awhile, is there any consensus on what the best cartridge is for these bullets. I've shot some 245s at 2694 fps from my win mag and see reports of nearly 3000 fps with larger cases. I'm looking at the rum and prc the most, but will consider anything really. All the options on 30 cal magnums is kind of overwhelming. I'd like to keep the barrel length on the shorter side - 24" or maybe 26" max. What would you chamber it in? Why? What velocity would you expect? Barrel twist?

Thanks!
The response from Cody pretty much covers it off You have a ton of options depending on wants and available funds

I just started out rebarreling my 300wm to 300prc, mid project I've decided to swap out actions and go 300 Norma for the extra push on the 250 class bullets.

If your hearts set on the 245 I would suggest the rum will be more appropriate if you want to dance around 3k.

I should add that I want this to be a packable rifle as well. I will carry it hundreds of miles. Carbon fiber barrel. Ti action. Anticipating 8.5 pounds, dressed for dinner (I know it's going to recoil). I'd like it to not be a single shot, but might be able to live with that if it's worth it.

For a gun that I don't want to carry, I might as well get a 16 pound 338.

26 in barrel would be the minimum barrel length I would go. 28-30 would be better to get the most FPS. 300 Norma improved by Alex wheeler would be your best bet. I would skip the 300 RUM due to brass choice plus who wants to single feed. You have waaaaay more options for 300 Norma brass. Peterson, lapua, and AGD

I load it in my 27" 300 RUM. I get 2832 FPS in Rem brass and 2815 FPS in ADG brass using N570. With the 35oz glass on it weighs about 10.5 pounds or so. Much less and I think the torque of that heavy bullet may be a little much.

If you are into the Norma, that may be worth looking at, but I also see lots of folks claiming 3000 FPS with a PRC. My RUM won't run that high and if it did, cases would probably be one and done.

Tried to load it long and best accuracy was at 3.745" COAL. It likes the jump, so much, I don't know where the lands are in relation to this. 215 Berger is the same, long jump. I had the Wyatt's box installed, but it just doesn't need it.

EDIT...Mine is SAMMI barrel. If doing this right...you could a GS to throat it optimally...Anxious to hear about this Paul...

Last edited:
For what it's worth...... I run the 245's in a 300 RUM at 2925fps with a 30" barrel. I took a Christensen arms action (Rem 700), milled it to accept a Wyatt's 4" box and run this as a repeater. I use Norm brass and use a suppressor. I can reload the brass 8 times before the primer pockets get loose, so this is not a hot load. It does produce 3 shot groups in the .2's. I think you could get around 2900fps with a 26" barrel if you wanted to push it that hard.
Wyatt

I should add that I want this to be a packable rifle as well. I will carry it hundreds of miles. Carbon fiber barrel. Ti action. Anticipating 8.5 pounds, dressed for dinner (I know it's going to recoil). I'd like it to not be a single shot, but might be able to live with that if it's worth it.

I built a 9.5 lb ready to hunt .338 Norma mag, 24" +5 port brake barrel was effectively a 26.5" barrel for length. Manners EH-1 stock, Remington action with fluted bolt, aluminum BDL bottom metal, Lilja #5 spiral fluted short shanked barrel (well under 3 lbs), titanium brake, 25 oz optic, and 5 oz optic mount. To get to 8.5 lbs ready to hunt, you could drop 6 oz or so on the scope if you went with a Leupold VX6-HD, a couple more oz with Hawkins Hybrid rings, and if you went with say a Defiance anTI (lighter than some ti actions) or some titanium actions, you would drop another 8-10ish oz off the action, this would put you at 8.5 lbs with an EH-1, which would be a good option to help manage recoil. A 24" proof sendero lite contour would be about the same weight as my Lilja barrel is if you wanted to go carbon.

Just throwing out some ideas on what would be needed for a light big 30. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I want to build a rifle to shoot the Berger 245 EOL. I've read lots of old threads on the subject, but they were from last year when the bullet was new. Now that the bullet has been out (and unavailable lol) for awhile, is there any consensus on what the best cartridge is for these bullets. I've shot some 245s at 2694 fps from my win mag and see reports of nearly 3000 fps with larger cases. I'm looking at the rum and prc the most, but will consider anything really. All the options on 30 cal magnums is kind of overwhelming. I'd like to keep the barrel length on the shorter side - 24" or maybe 26" max. Wind drift is my primary concern in ballistics. It's easy to adjust for gravity. What would you chamber it in? Why? What velocity would you expect? Barrel twist?

Thanks!
we us a 30-378 weatherby chambered on a remington 700 longrange 26 inch going out at 3150 5inch group at 1000 yards the 245 shoot consistently spot on

Last edited:

Exactly where I'm at Mine will end up 22" 300 Norma mag carbon barrel. I know and accept I won't get the same velocity as going 26-28". Gun is in a manners. Rings and glass relatively stripped down I'm guessing 9ish lbs range finished

I just didn't have the confidence the 300prc would have the jam once into 250gr range.

Recent Posts