Berger 210 VLD

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by POP, Mar 2, 2006.

1. POP

POP Well-Known Member

Has anyone done some performance testing on this bullet? Maybe on ballistic gellatin (they actually sell that in Midway now!) or in wet newsprint etc.?
    Basically i am trying to ascertain whether it is a viable big game bullet from a 300 RUM. Basically how it would perform from 50- whatever range on elk/deer etc. Would it expand at long range, penetrate at short range etc.

BTW, any loads for the rum on this bullet? How was accuracy/velocity?
    Thanx

2. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

POP

I shot this bullet a little over a month ago. I was using 89g Retumbo and getting an even 3000fps. I had shot 2 coyotes, which I think you saw the pics. Teh ranges were 118, and 275. They left gaping holes. I think they would be an aweseome deer bullet as well. Maybe a little on the explosive side, but thats still a plenty big bullet to pass through deer. They are suppose to be made with light jackets, thats why I'm experiencing the expansion I'm getting. I would not use them for elk though. I think its a little to fragile of a bullet. I did not shoot them in my wet newspaper test. For targets, coyotes, antelope, deer, you could not go wrong with this bullet. But for elk/bears I still think there is better choices out there.

3. POP

POP Well-Known Member

Tango Mike

4. remingtonman_25_06

Huh?

5. POP

POP Well-Known Member

Tango Mike....
    Phonetic alphabet for
    Thanx Much

Come on man get with the program. You're gonna be a military man just like me in a few!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. POP

POP Well-Known Member

Yuor first military lesson on radio talk!

Letter Pronunciation Letter Pronunciation

A Alpha (AL fah)------------N November (no VEM ber)
    B Bravo (BRAH VOH)----------O Oscar (OSS cah)
    C Charlie (CHAR lee)--------P Papa (pah PAH)
    D Delta (DELL tah)----------Q Quebec (keh BECK)
    E Echo (ECK oh)-------------R Romeo (ROW me oh)
    F Foxtrot (FOKS trot)-------S Sierra (see AIR rah)
    G Golf (GOLF)---------------T Tango (TANG go)
    H Hotel (hoh TELL)----------U Uniform (YOU nee form)
    I India (IN dee ah)---------V Victor (VIK tah)
    J Juliett (JEW lee ETT)-----W Whiskey (WISS key)
    K Kilo (KEY loh)------------X X Ray (ECKS RAY)
    L Lima (LEE mah)------------Y Yankee (YANG key)
    M Mike (MIKE)---------------Z Zulu (ZOO loo)

Note: The syllables printed in capital letters are to be stressed.

7. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Hey Pop,

My huntin pardner is working or has been working with them some. Here is a plate we got hanging at 500yds, that has a few impacts from the Bergers on it, for what it's worth. The plate is a scrapped 12"- 150# blind, the white circle is 2.5" in dia. These weren't shot in ideal conditions by any means. 15+ mph winds coming in from 3 on the first one and from 9 on the second.

This is both Bergers and Wildcat 210's, [​IMG]

This one is just showing the Bergers.
    [​IMG]

If I can get the data from him I will post it up or maybe he will when he gets off work. I know that mostly he is using H-1000 and Retumbo.

8. Jon A

Jon A Well-Known Member

Is there any chance these things will stay in one piece from a 3 groove 1:9 twist barrel in the 3150 fps range? I picked up a box quite a while ago but never got the chance to try them out in the old barrel. The new barrel might be a bit rough on them...I just don't want to make an ass out of myself at the range by not putting any holes in the target (damn public ranges anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ).

9. remingtonman_25_06

I wouldnt think they would, but then I have no idea. I have got them up to almost 3200 myself, with a 10 twist whatever groove that remington uses. Does the grooveing have quite a bit of effect on the bullet and how it spins or what?

10. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone done some performance testing on this bullet? Maybe on ballistic gellatin (they actually sell that in Midway now!) or in wet newsprint etc.?
    Basically i am trying to ascertain whether it is a viable big game bullet from a 300 RUM. Basically how it would perform from 50- whatever range on elk/deer etc. Would it expand at long range, penetrate at short range etc.

BTW, any loads for the rum on this bullet? How was accuracy/velocity?
    Thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

Confusion, confusion. POP I thought that you did not like and would never consider useing match bullets for hunting

11. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    Would it expand at long range, penetrate at short range etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, I thought you were against long range hunting. Why be concerned about long range bullet performance if you despise the idea of it in the first place? Yeah, I read your post on the other forum POP, or should I call you Jekyl and Hyde? Pity, pity. I thought you were one of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

12. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

13. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

I've done business w/POP and he has been nothing short of great to deal with. He seems like a very good guy.

I must say however that this dissapoints me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif..

14. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

I was hoping it was just someone else, but I was disapointed when they're both from CHEYENNE, WY.
    Is it possible to have two POPS from the same place?