Beginners Luck

What's the difference between a Mil and an MOA and how do they relate to each other on my Mil dot scope?

What adjustment do I make when shots are 2" high and 2" right @ 100yds?

What do you think of a 6 inch spread from 100yds for my 1st time out?

The weapon is a Savage FVSS 308 with a 26" barrel.

The rounds were 150 sp.

How do I post pics on the site?

Are we there yet? :)

One mil is equal to 3.44 MOA at some predetermined magnification setting on your scope.

One MOA is equal to 1.047 inches at 100 yards.

Out to about 800 yards you do not have to worry about the .047 part and then it becomes important.

To adjust to zero, go down 2 MOA and left to MOA if that is how your scope turrets are calibrated.

The rifle is likely capable of putting three to five shots under an inch. If you want to test the rifle's ability get some Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain. It should like that.

The instructions for posting a picture are found in the Sticky under General Discussion.

I appreciate all the help.

What are some good training manuals and/or articles, and how can I access them?

I'm still pondering Mil and MOA.
Are Mil dots strictly for range estimation and off-the-cuff hold-offs?

Right on Captn.

Y'all were off to my right.
The ol lady said she overheard some folks saying they thought I was doing pretty good.
I reckon that may have been y'all.

Second time ever on a range today.
I spent 5 rounds fine-tuning the scope at 100yds.

Then I put a 5-shot spread within 7/8".:)

The scope is still a bit right, but the spread was tight.

Next time I'll do the 200 yard.
Should I leave the scope zeroed for 100?

The girls were out spending my money on wedding dresses!

I want to see a picture of Captain C in a wedding dress. I bet they are lavendar. He would look good in that color.

JYD

7/8 's is much better than 6 inches. You might as well learn how to dial up a scope. Twist the elevation "up" 2 MOA and you should be exactly zeroed at 200 yards. This is the same procedure you can use for hunting later on.

That's great advice BB, but I think the dress was lavender, and if its okay with y'all, I'll withold comment.

Just kidding.

:D

Thanks again BB.

Thanks Captn.
You're right and I'm glad I witheld comment. LMAO!

Now,
I just read that mirage shivers when wind is about to change direction.
Is that a good time to shoot?

light bulb

Reading about these 100 and 200 yard matches, I see .2 is typical for the 100 and .4 for the 200.
Now that's some pretty sharp-shooting.

I also learned that high-and-right on my target could mean I'm pulling or jerking the trigger.
I'll watch this with some dry-firing and try to be smoother when touching-off shots before making any adjustments to the scope.

It also looks like zeroing at 200 is the way to go for long-range accuracy.

I'm still a bit sketchy on barrel cleaning, care and break-in, and need to know the pros and cons on reloads.
Should I be considering reloads?

BTW, after learning proper measuring, I see my above-mentioned .875 spread (7/8,) is really a bit less than .75.

:)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.