Beginner caliber

Yes, obviously you can shoot a lot of paper or smaller game with calibers like that, but when the conversation includes 1,000 yards and elk, I think those are out of the equation.

I think he said over 500 and elk go with the 300s....

or did I read it wrong?

so, I'm thinking between the 300 mag, 300 rum or 338 edge. thoughts in each?

It all depends on your wants and priority's. Based on your OP {I would like to make it out west a few times too for elk and antelope....I'm looking for a caliber that I'd be comfortable shooting and taking game out to 8-1000yds.} the 300 WM is probably the best choice. Based on your desire for a big 338, maybe that's the way to go.

The 300 WM, is a very capable 1000 yd elk rifle. After that, it starts getting close to sub bullet opening velocity (1800 fps), depending on bullet and load. The EDGE will get you a couple hundred yards farther with a lot more smack.

The RUM will actually get you farther ( almost a hundred yards) than the EDGE in bullet opening velocity if you use 3000 fps with 230 Hybrid and 2800 fps with the 300 OTM. However, the RUM will have significantly less barrel life, but the EDGE will be a little more spendy to shoot.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

cohunter14,

You are probably right, especially at that distance. 1000 yds. on an Elk is a demanding shot, even with the 300's. I've never attempted that. I have seen the darn things that far off, but never considered the shot. If I were to use my 300 win mag at that distance, what weight should I be pushing, 200 gr. ? Or perhaps the 300 Win Mag is the wrong choice at that distance?

Crusty Buck

I think he said over 500 and elk go with the 300s....

or did I read it wrong?

When going after bull elk, I would choose a large 308 cartridge at any range. That said, lesser cartridges are very capable of killing bull elk. A lot of nice bulls have been taken with 243's. I choose to improve the odds of a quick uneventful kill by choosing a large 308 rifle if I have one available.

You can't just say "X" number of yards and you use "X" cartridge. You should look at the velocity, sectional density, frontal expansion/form and performance of a bullet. I would be very confident in shooting a 6mm highly frangible bullet like a Berger, from a 6-284, into the lungs of a a big bull out to maybe 500 yds, but would not consider trying a shot through shoulder/leg bone with same bullet. With a 300 mag shooting a 180 gr or bigger bullet increases my choice of shots and odds of success with any shot angle and any bullet depending on range, velocity, etc.

MontanaRifleman,

Yup, I agree with the odds being better with the larger calibers. Getting back to Hurl427's original thread of wanting a long range, tactical looking gun that is capable of taking an Elk at a 1000 yds., Savage makes some nice guns in this venue that are chambered for the 300 Win. Mag. or 338 lapua gun). I'm sure I'll hear an echo out there when I say practice, practice, practice! MontanaRifleman, why frangible bullets for hunting? I can see the lung shot, but critters move and wind changes.

Crusty Buck

cohunter14,

You are probably right, especially at that distance. 1000 yds. on an Elk is a demanding shot, even with the 300's. I've never attempted that. I have seen the darn things that far off, but never considered the shot. If I were to use my 300 win mag at that distance, what weight should I be pushing, 200 gr. ? Or perhaps the 300 Win Mag is the wrong choice at that distance?

Crusty Buck

I would say some good choices would be the 200 Accubond, possibly the 210 Long Range Accubond, and the 215 or 230 Berger Hybrid.

so, going to that take the advice of getting two guns and just get a long range deer rifle this time around.my reasoning Is I found a 7 mag savage for $350.now I'm just going to cross my fingers it's still there at the end of the month when I get paid. a year or 2 before I go elk hunting I'll make sure to pick up something bigger.

There's a lot of good information and advice in this thread. Shooting at anything out to 1000 yds. requires that the shooter enjoy shooting the gun, knows his/her cartridge, can read the wind, and practices until they feel it the wallet. Get out to the range and get comfortable with what you have, then practice against your buddies to get the feel for making decisions fast. I've wounded my share of critters, found some, lost the rest. I have never shot at anything over 500 yds. away. My longest shot was 350 yds. on a White Tail hauling oats across a prairie in Nebraska. It went down to a 139 grain interlock out of a 7 x 57 Mauser. Do Elk just stand there at 1000 yds. and wonder why the dust is flying around them, or do they wonder anything? :) The last Elk I shot at was 35 yds. away in the deep black timber of Bear Gulch in Eagle County Colorado. It did not stand still and wait for a follow up shot.

Crusty Buck

Hurl427,

Get comfortable with that 7 mag. and don't be too quick to give it up for the long range shots. Berger makes a nice 195 grain with excellent BC and SD. Put it in the right place and collect the meat.

Crusty Buck

That 7 mag will get you out there quite a ways, even on elk. As crusty mentioned, develop a solid load for it and shoot a bunch. You'll figure our what your limitations are as you go.

thanks for the help guys and who knows maybe when I setup my trip I'll tell the guide what range I'm comfortable shooting the 7 and we can keep it limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.