Beginner Reloader - Kit and/or parts?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I've been putting it off for several years, but I'm wanting to get into loading for my rifle.

I purchased an RCBS Rock Chucker a couple of years ago, but that is the extent of my supplies.

Is there any recommended kits that exclude a press? What other parts will I need to purchase?

I am solely loading for my 300 WM. I had a load created by a smith using 215 Berger Hybrids and am wanting to continue loading my own as well as work toward lowering my ES and SD numbers.

Thank you!

I'm not aware of any basic kits off the top of my head that don't include a press. However there are some kits that have multiple pieces in them for advanced reloading such as some that Hornady offer for case trimming etc.

Personally, I would piece together the pieces you want. I've done that over the years and prefer to do it that way as I get exactly what I want.

If you've got the room, on the bench and in the wallet, I'd pick up an RCBS Rockchucker kit.
I know Hornady makes a kit, too, but I have no experience with it. I know they used to offer free bullets with purchase so that can save a bunch of money.
It sure doesn't hurt to have 2 presses, or even sell one if you'd rather.
Another option, though more time consuming, is to piece it together but when just starting out how do you know what you want? I've been loading several years and although I have bought and sold a few items, my basic "kit" is still much the same as when I started out.

The third option is to wait for someone selling "Grandpas reloading setup" but thats a crapshoot, too.

Good luck in your search!

The kits are pretty useless these days anyway. Most of the stuff you need don't come in them anyway.

1. You need a good set of calipers
2. headspace comparator
3. Ogive measuring set
4. A good scale. I like an electric trickler.

The headspace and Ogive kit is a must for the 300 win. You need to setup your dies correctly or you will ruin all your brass in 4-5 firings if you resize them too much

You already have a good press. Adding to Dmagna's list, I would get a good set of dies, some type of case prep center, an excellent and accurate scale, a good adjustable priming tool and lastly, a good case trimmer.

You can add annealing later, but these few things will get you making fine ammo quickly.

I would avoid the kits because you will buy almost everything twice.

Pass on the kits; too much stuff in them that you don't want or need. Make sure you have the right shellholder. Get some resizing wax. I have no experience with belted cases, but if twas me I'd pretend that the belt isn't there. If you still have some loaded ammo and you like the way it performs use one of those to set your seat die. I assume that you have no issue with obtaining the Berger bullets. I like the Forster trimmers. Use a once-fired or new case to set it. K & M makes a nice hand priming tool. Finding a decent tweezers to pick up your primers with could be PITA. Seat them to a crush fit. A flat blade screwdriver can be made to fit as a primer pocket cleaner. Mitutoyo calipers are dang good.
IMO since you're loading for the 300 Win Mag I can't picture that being a volume thing. IMO you won't need anything but the simplest scale as long as it's accurate to +/- .2 grains. Grafs has IIRC a nice little battery operated scale at a reasonable price.
A cup or something similar and a plastic spoon is good enough. I'd cut the bottom off of a plastic rubbing alcohol bottle and use that as it seems to have an anti-static additive in it.

How soon do you want to start and how much do you want to spend? At bare minimum you will need primers,powder, and bullets ,set of dies ,a shell holder,caliper and a way to measure powder and transfer the powder to the sized case.And a reloading manual. Lots of good instructional videos on YouTube and you should be set depending on where you're located you might be able to find a forum member who would help you to get the basics down and start loading.

The kits are pretty useless these days anyway. Most of the stuff you need don't come in them anyway.

1. You need a good set of calipers
2. headspace comparator
3. Ogive measuring set
4. A good scale. I like an electric trickler.

The headspace and Ogive kit is a must for the 300 win. You need to setup your dies correctly or you will ruin all your brass in 4-5 firings if you resize them too much
If I could inquire, are you saying I need to set up resizing die to resize the minimal amount required each time?

You already have a good press. Adding to Dmagna's list, I would get a good set of dies, some type of case prep center, an excellent and accurate scale, a good adjustable priming tool and lastly, a good case trimmer.

You can add annealing later, but these few things will get you making fine ammo quickly.

I would avoid the kits because you will buy almost everything twice.
Thank you!

Do you by chance have any specific recommendations on the above listed items?

How soon do you want to start and how much do you want to spend? At bare minimum you will need primers,powder, and bullets ,set of dies ,a shell holder,caliper and a way to measure powder and transfer the powder to the sized case.And a reloading manual. Lots of good instructional videos on YouTube and you should be set depending on where you're located you might be able to find a forum member who would help you to get the basics down and start loading.
Thank you. Ideally, I would like to have all of the required equipment within the next 6 or so months… sooner the better.

Recent Posts