beginner reloading question

jbs2014

All

I am going to take the plunge and begin reloading. The calibers I have are 50 BMG (M82), 408 & 375 Cheytac, 338-378 WBY, 378 Weatherby, and 300 SAUM.

I have never reloaded before

Is this press any good? RCBS AmmoMaster 2 Single Stage Press 50 BMG Kit Will it accommodate the 408 and 375 cheytac dies from Viersco? I have head some stories about the press breaking. Any of you had any experience with this press?

Also, what kind of a bench do I need to have constructed? can one be made for 300$ or so?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance for your time

I have that press and use it exclusively for my 50 BMG, the bench has to be about 55" tall for the press to be comfortable for me (5' 11"). My brother who is 6' 4" needs it to be higher. My press came with an adapter so it can use 50 BMG size dies or the standard 7/8"-14 dies. Maybe someone can chime in on the cheytac dies, but i'm sure it it doesn't fit directly a thread adapter can be made or purchased.

My bench is made out of scrap 2x4's and countertop, doubt it cost more than 40 bucks. As long as it is the right height and sturdy enough to support the press you are fine. I recommend having a separate bench to weigh out powder charges.

There's a lot more tools and equipment you will need to actually reload, but the ammomaster press is one of the few options you have that can actually handle the 50 BMG and the smaller stuff. Hornady's oversized press is literally the same thing, just painted red.

at a minimum, you must have:

dies for the cartridge
case lube
case trimmer
chamfering/deburring tool
calipers
and a way to measure powder (scale, measure, scoops, or dispenser)

additionally, you need projectiles, powder, and primers for each cartridge.

Costs vary wildly, decent 50 cal dies might set you back $300 on their own, or you might find a used set for $40. Most reloading equipment is mechanical and very heavily constructed, so buying used could be a good way to keep your initial costs down. Unfortunately, aside from the giraud power trimmer, I am not aware of a case trimmer that can do all of the calibers you own, so you might get stuck having to buy 2 manual trimmers.

Overall, For 600-800 bucks I am certain you could reload for either the 50, or the 378 and 300 SAUM, but it might take some hard shopping to be reloading for both.
You are feeding some very expensive cartridges, so even with $1000-1200 up front cost, your return on investment could be extremely fast. My 50 cal broke even after 209 shells loaded.

I bought the Hornady 50 bmg press a while back and it came with the 50 cal dies for a reasonable price. I haven't loaded any .50s yet but I use it to load 375 Cheytac. You have to buy an adapter for the ram in order to use standard shell holders, and the Cheytac dies may or may not require a bushing from CH4D. The 50 bmg press uses 1-1/2" diameter dies and comes with an adapter for the standard 7/8" dies. Since my Cheytac dies are 1-1/4" I bought the correct bushing from CH4D.

I've used a bunch of different presses through the years but I've just recently started using this big press. It's big and clunky compared to everything else I've used. If possible I would get a smaller press such as the Redding Big Boss II to load everything but .50 cal. It has the ability to use 1-1/4" or 7/8" dies. In fact, I'd probably start with just one caliber to get your feet wet. Reloading is fun and rewarding but there's a lot to learn (and buy). Just make sure you're able to enjoy it!

I would suggest you buy a few reloading manuals and read them cover to cover.

What you will learn is what is absolutely needed for safe, sane loading and what is fluff.

You will also learn technics and what powders and other stuff you may want to try.

After you learn all this stuff you will have a better idea of what you need and what you want.

Good luck on your loading venture. I enjoy loading my favorite rounds and sending them down range. I believe you will also.

I don't suppose you shoot anything that you put less than a half pound of gunpowder in, do you?

I would suggest you buy a few reloading manuals and read them cover to cover.

What you will learn is what is absolutely needed for safe, sane loading and what is fluff.

You will also learn technics and what powders and other stuff you may want to try.

After you learn all this stuff you will have a better idea of what you need and what you want.

Good luck on your loading venture. I enjoy loading my favorite rounds and sending them down range. I believe you will also.

I don't suppose you shoot anything that you put less than a half pound of gunpowder in, do you?

5.56 7.62 x 39 and a few handguns but I have plenty of ammo for them.

I have a reloading manual but the cheytacs are not in them

I want to load the 300 grain cutting edge bullets or the RMB 325 grain bullets in the 378
have to find some data for them

thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.