Bedding repair question

Dr. Vette

Question for those who may have tried it -

I just bedded my first rifle, and everything went well.
Well, almost everything.

It's a Remington 700, and at the front bolt, there is are 2 small voids (bubbles) and a chip at the edge of the bolt hole. If I recall, I can mix up a small amount of Devcon, place it in the voids/holes (which I would rough up a bit) and re-insert the rifle just like before. This would then fill them in and I'd be good to go.

I suspect this is possible as any "extra" would be forced into the bolt hole.

If anyone has input or suggestions please let me know. Otherwise everything turned out very well.

-
Small bubbles are common and do not need to be filled. I would repair a chip on edge of the bolt hole by mixing a small amount of fiberglass material, fill it in and when hardened in about a day, smooth it even with sandpaper or a rasp. Just keep the repair diameter small enough that the action bolt does not rest against it.

The most important thing is that the action rests firmly in the stock and will not rock front or rear and is stress free.

Pinholes and other inclusions are an endless source of irritation when committed to a bedding job that looks nice.

If your stock is synthetic one option is to use a small diameter drill and poke a hole completely through the stock. Fill a syringe with bedding compound and then inject the hole till the stuff "poops out".

This is about the only way you ensure the void is completely filled. Let it run out a bit, wipe it clean, then finish with installing the action in the stock (coated with release of course) and give it a final squish.

Things to pay attention to:

Make sure you sterilize the surrounding area with a dose of release agent so that the bedding compound doesn't work its way between.

There's no fix (that I've found anyway) that completely blends the buggers. My std practice these days is to scrap the job and start over if there's a hole.

Good luck.

C

DSC_0117.jpg

A few bubbles don't hurt anything other than looks.

I don't repair them unless they are bad or in a bad location and then like Chad I re do
it.

Some bedding compounds are worse than others about having bubbles and I have moved
away from them for that reason.

Accuglass was one of them but Accuglass gell was not as bad if you folded the two parts
together instead of stirring.

I like the thicker compounds because they are easy to use (No runs) and if placed in the
in-letting correctly they are forced out of the stock without any bubbles or defects.

If you try to repair the bubbles/holes you may end up with pressure points.

It happens to everyone and with experience most defects can be eliminated.

Shoot it and have fun.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys.

They're only tiny bubbles (2 of them right next to the bolt hole) and a thin chip that subsequently peeled off, and probably not worth the effort to fix.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.