bedding full action or lug

harleybug

I'm in the middle of building my first long range rifle off a rem 700 in 7mm mag and I've been doing some reading on bedding the full action or just the lug. I see both being done and I'm curious to get some opinions from u guys if it is really worth bedding the full action. I'm not trying to skip on my rifle but I also don't want to make a mistake and make my rifle worse.

Harley, bedding the full action can't hurt, especially around pillars for a smooth fit. Getting the action level in the stock is important when bedding. Be aware black plastic stocks don't allow epoxy to stick to them. You need a wood laminate, fiber composite or solid wood stock for bedding. Your 700 is one of the easier to bed and there are many articles here and videos on You Tube. I've found Kiwi neutral polish works best for a release agent. Don't miss any spot and mask off areas needing protection. Take your time, good luck

Your question deals with whether or not to bed the entire action or just the lug. I assume you already have some idea about how that's done so I'll avoid that part of the subject. Obviously it isn't necessary to bed the entire action. Bedding the lug will stiffen things up better than no bedding at all. However, it won't stiffen things up as much as bedding the entire action - lug to tang. If you want to do a complete job bed the entire action.

Your question deals with whether or not to bed the entire action or just the lug. I assume you already have some idea about how that's done so I'll avoid that part of the subject. Obviously it isn't necessary to bed the entire action. Bedding the lug will stiffen things up better than no bedding at all. However, it won't stiffen things up as much as bedding the entire action - lug to tang. If you want to do a complete job bed the entire action.

Well said. I bedded just the lug and had good results with the addition of pillars but I think the best result would be bedding the whole action.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.