Bedding the Recoil Lug.

Jerry,
I need to contact my buddy to find out exactly how he filled the the forend and butt, all i know at the moment is that the shell was hand layed up and the bedding area is solid. He then took the mould to have it filled with some kind of high tech proprietery industrial process. I'll get back to you as soon i know all the details.

Ian.

Hi Jerry and everyone else who is following this thread,
The deed has been done, the action has been fully bedded with aluminium Devcon with no clearence around the recoil lug.
As for the stock, i talked to my buddy and although he did not have a name for the type of filling used(or he did not want to tell me?),he explained that it is a closed mould process which after laminates of GRP have been layed up, a core is positioned to form the action recess and the whole mould is filled under pressure, with a polyester resin containing millions of tiny plastic spheres.
When this cures it is incredibly light and very strong.It machines beautifully on the Bridgeport without any dulling of the cutters.
Is this the same way that commercial stock manufacturers make their composite stocks? i dont know, maybe someone could someone shed some light on these processes. Thanks.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts