Bedding an adl

jsthntn247

I just acquired an adl Remmy in a trade. It had been previously bedded, but upon checking deflection it moved .030 when loosening the screws. I have hogged out the bedding and can't decide where to pillar bed it or not. I've bedded 10+ rifles all of which had bedding blocks are pillars already installed. The stock is wood, but I'm not sure how to cut the pillar for the estucion, should I just skim bed it and go or get some adjustable pillars and try it out? Does the estucion make contact with the pillar?

I just acquired an adl Remmy in a trade. It had been previously bedded, but upon checking deflection it moved .030 when loosening the screws. I have hogged out the bedding and can't decide where to pillar bed it or not. I've bedded 10+ rifles all of which had bedding blocks are pillars already installed. The stock is wood, but I'm not sure how to cut the pillar for the estucion, should I just skim bed it and go or get some adjustable pillars and try it out? Does the estucion make contact with the pillar?

Stockey's stocks has pillar kits cheep and easy to install. On wood stocks I highly recommend Pillar bedding
to make the bedding last.

You can bed without pillars and achieve accuracy but it doesn't last very long and the action screw torque will decrease over time due to the wood compressing.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for replying. I just finished skim bedding it with devcon. I also wrapped 1/2 of the barrel in .020 thick tape and applied compound to that part of the barrel channel and a clay dam. I will seal the rest of the channel and the but stock to hopefully minimize shrink and swell. I don't have much in this gun and can't justify spending 80 dollars on a specialized drill bit and pillars. If this doesn't work out ill get a stock with a bedding block. It had .150 deflection before I removed the old bedding pad and .030 still after that, so there's not much I can do to make it worse.

As a side note does anyone know where to get a recoil pad for a adl wood stock. I would really like a red or brown one for an old school look.

Brownells also sells pillars very cheap, plus if you are careful you can "pull" a wood bit through to get your holes if you are using a drill press and clamps for the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts