Bedding after rebarrel

Morack

Do you rebed action after rebarreling or just from lug forward 1 1/2" or so? Thanks

You haven't changed anything with a barrel swap unless you were already bedded ahead of the recoil lug.

As far as bedding ahead of the lug, varying opinions on that. On heavy/long bull barrels, I bed the barrel shank 1"-2" ahead of the lug to provide support for the barrel so all that weight isn't hanging off the receiver ring.

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that you needed to bed past recoil lug 1-2" will be interesting to see if accuracy improves without going past!

I bed all barrels 1 to 2" ahead of the lug. I have tried it both ways, light or heavy barrel, I like the results better bedded that way. Now whether the barrel is free floated, fully bedded or has a pressure point near the end of the fore-end, gets decided through experimentation. Many really light, wippy type barrels benefit from full bedding or at least a pressure point. I start with the barrel free floated, then try pressure point next, if the barrel still wanders as it heats I move to full length bedding of the barrel.

Whether right or wrong, I usually bed 1 1/2" to 2" in front of recoil lug. Even with a light barrel, being fully floated, it puts a considerable amount of stress on the action and threads. Barrels whip and resonate when fired. Think of the leverage that a 2ft pry bar transmits when pressure applied on outer end. Just a small pad relieves almost all of the stress off the action. When changing barrels it seems difficult to bed beyond lug without inducing stress to the pre bedded action surface. So I always rebed entire action and pad support under barrel.