beautiful shooting conditions and the result...

abinok

Monday, tues and wed were some absolutely beautiful days here in OKlahoma. 70s, with very light to NO wind. Don't happen much around here. I took the opportunity to do some LR work with a 7mm barrel im planning to haul west to wack some Pdogs with early next month. Its essentially a 7mmSTW, with the chamber mods approprate to best use 300WBY brass as a parent case. I did this because there is a whole lot of great brass out there for the 300WBY, but very little for the STW.
For the past 2 months this rifle has been pounding out regular 1.25"-1.5" groups at 400yds in good conditons, with the occasional group just under the 1" mark, so I decided it was time to streach her out a bit.

Load is 180Bergers, soft seated, over plenty of Retumbo.

Monday afternoon she got 2 2liter bottles of water at 951, and 984yds, 7 rounds total... not too bad.

Tues morning, she got 2 more at 1148, as well as a 5 round group on paper at 1345. pretty sure I bungled the trigger on the last shot (the high one) but there they are. The lone bottle from 1345 survived to be shot at another day. 15 rounds total.
estydubbaya180berger1900.jpg

I dug the bullets out of the dirt bank behind the bottles, and they are quite nice mushrooms.
180bergersrecovered1100.jpg

180bergersrecovered110002.jpg

Wed found me a little further south, at what is very nearly the max range of this setup due to scope elevation, just 4 yards short of 1900. I setup 2 jugs and one of the portable target stands, and headed south. I started on the jugs to make sure I was close enough on windage adn elevation to poke holes in the paper, then proceded to shoot the target. I put 3 in the paper, then went to work on the jugs. After the smoke had cleared, the jugs were still standing, but both of them had dust on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif from the proximity of the impacts. 12 rounds total.
estydubbaya180berger1345.jpg

Heres the impact area...
impactarea.jpg

And the view south. You can see a small yellow thing to the left of the bottle cap. Thats one of our John Deer tractors, about 1360yds or so away.
canyonLRbottle.jpg

All in all, not bad performance. Time will tell if its enough when we get to the panhandle!

Great shooting and a very nice place to play. Try this, put a bit of light colour material around the bottle. Like lime or line marking chalk.

If you make a cirle say 1' or 6" around the jug, it will help with spotting.

I shoot into a light coloured clay hillside and spotting is sometimes tough as the puff of dust isn't very conclusive.

By putting something contrasting nearby helps you know where your bullets are landing. I could use some of your red dirt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Might help...

Jerry

Daaaang Adam !!!

Great shooting ( good pix too ) I'm just gonna leave my stick in the truck next time we go pd ing ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Still can't believe you abandoned your first love 300 winnie for a pipsqueak 7mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jerry Teo as always had a good idea about the marking material but I have a better one ( I think ) How about putting out multiple bottles shoulder to shoulder and if terrain changes permit top to botom as well ( say 3 bottles wide and 3 deep ) you will know where you hit for sure then .

Wish you were going on this aintelope hunt but get ready for next year NOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

Ive never tried chalk... but that might be the next one. I think some blue might give good contrast. Good Idea Jerry!
Ths closest Icurrently shoot to that is instead of the 1/2" plywood backer I used in these sesions, ill use 1/2" sheetrock. It gives a nice white puff when you poke a hole in it. Past 1100 or so theres enough time to get the target back in the scope before it lands so self spotting is easy.

Ive tried putting 3 bottles side by side, and it kinda works, but hitting one will usually throw enough shrapnel to kill all the bottles on either side of it. It knocks them over and they go rolling at the least. I haven't given up on the 300Wm just yet. There will be 150rounds of my old standby 220SMK load along, and 75rds or so of the load that has been performing best with the 208g Hornady Amax.

Iwonder how a 180Berger would work on antelope?

Adam,

Paint the bottles different colors and put them in a certain order then you know wher e your shot went when you check them , and yes , the explosion scatters them everywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
BTw those bergers look like they would do good on meat !

Jim B.

Abinok,
I'm impressed, it's not just the rifle, you must be doing something right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.