Artic Conditions, Ammo, & Condensation

Sask190

When bringing ammo that has been subjected to sub-zero F temps for 6 to 8 hours inside the house when finished hunting, does condensation form on the inside of the brass the could have a negative effect on cartridge performance? I know the outside of the loaded ammo "sweats"; just wondering if the inside does? gun)

Depends on neck seal and primer seal.

I've had "seepage" on cases that have expanded primer pockets to the extent that they will not fire.

Thus, rifle and cartridges do not come in the house if they are going to be used within a day or so.

Idaho is usually very dry humidity in the house is usually very low. Sweating isn't usually a problem. However, a special box for the rifle and cartridges in the garage prevents problems, so far.

Before you bring the cold ammo inside, put it inside a ziploc plastic bag and
for good measure place it inside of another ziploc platic bag making sure both bags
are nicely closed. Now you can bring them inside the house without any worries... :cool:
Just make sure you don't open the bags until you have given enough time for the inside
to reach normal temperature. I usually would just leave it overnight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.