Artic Conditions, Ammo, & Condensation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sask190, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Sask190

Sask190 Member

When bringing ammo that has been subjected to sub-zero F temps for 6 to 8 hours inside the house when finished hunting, does condensation form on the inside of the brass the could have a negative effect on cartridge performance? I know the outside of the loaded ammo "sweats"; just wondering if the inside does? gun)

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Depends on neck seal and primer seal.

I've had "seepage" on cases that have expanded primer pockets to the extent that they will not fire.

Thus, rifle and cartridges do not come in the house if they are going to be used within a day or so.

Idaho is usually very dry humidity in the house is usually very low. Sweating isn't usually a problem. However, a special box for the rifle and cartridges in the garage prevents problems, so far.

3. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Before you bring the cold ammo inside, put it inside a ziploc plastic bag and
    for good measure place it inside of another ziploc platic bag making sure both bags
    are nicely closed. Now you can bring them inside the house without any worries... :cool:
    Just make sure you don't open the bags until you have given enough time for the inside
    to reach normal temperature. I usually would just leave it overnight.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Eagle, good pointer. Wooda tho't Ida tho't of that. :)