beautiful wife : animal lover

mikebob

Is their another life long hunter out there that has a wife that is an animal lover. She just doesn't understand how i can go out and kill innocent animals(she is also a veggie). I just can't make her understand that we are actually helping these animals through management by hunting. Has anyone else had to go through this and how did you make them understand. She doesn't give me any crap over it or try to stop me from hunting, she just wants to understand why men are so passionate about hunting. any advice to help me make her understand.

Try this out: Humans evolved by perfecting our hunting skills. Long before we farmed, we hunted. Even though we, generally, don't "need" to hunt to survive as a species, the genes that enabled us to reach this point in our history are still present in many humans. My belief is that people who enjoy hunting (like myself), do so in part because our ancestors passed along genes that had been honed over the millennium, and we are simply enjoying something that was key to our survival. Just because we can buy our food, doesn't mean we can just flush those instincts, and pretend they don't exist.

Mike

We get the same question here mainly from the anti's but my first wife was the same. For that and other reasons she soon became ex LOL.

Whether we like to admit it or not we actually enjoy hunting, lets not kid ourselves and part of that is the end game, killing. For me it provides food for my family and friends, it keeps me fitter than what I would be without all the yomping over hills in pursuit of the wonderful animals I hunt and it gives me peace. I never take any animal that does not have a table to go too with the exception of vermin.

I am often asked why or how could I take an animal that I truely admire and respect; it is often said have a passion for these animals that I do not have for humans but that is another story.

The balance of nature is finely tuned and those amongst us, no matter what creed or colour, who as their guiding principle argue that nature has its way of finding its own balance are intellectually redundant. A species that finds its own level of numbers, for example a predator; destroys its surroundings by eating and fornicating, thus creating more of the same. The trouble is this methodology of "natures balance" can radically upset the ecological balance within an area that could be permanent or if not take a long long time to recover. In doing this and when the food source has been extinguished the natural balance is found by starvation and in some instances canibalisation.

Hunting is part of (trying as we might) keeping the balance and managing our wildlife that enables healthy growth of those we leave behind. The majority of people in the UK who live in towns and do not understand the ways of the country look out of their windows and drive through a countryside thinking in their naivity that the countryside takes care of itself... it doesn't we do that. we manage the forna and flora and it is scientifically proven the work we do protects, manages and improves biodiversity and the welfare of the animals we hunt and the surrounding areas. I also tend to agree with visigoth it is instinctive.

The food I provide for my family is organic, it comes in its own packaging and tastes wonderful. Whilst I am hunting I am also doing my bit to keep the balance and manage the countryside a place I dearly love.

HP

I really thank you all for responding, I am going to have my wife read these to help her understand why im a hunter. She would never try to stop me from hunting or try to make me a veggie as she cooks stakes or whatever i want. She just wants to understand my passion (jealousy i think, she has competition!!! LOL!!!).

I collected my first squirrel at age 8, had been dispatching birds with a bb-gun for a couple years prior to that (got my *** beat alot but did it anyway) I am driven to hunt, can't explain it, can't help it but I must go when that little voice on the inside says "well ya think its time to go?" I don't have shoot anything but I must be there, If I need to go and don't, nobody wants to be around me.
Besides that, hunting in our civilized world does help the game, to havest a few will help the many, too much game leaves it suseptable to disease, starvation and whatever, and as nature goes, the more that you take out, the more will be replaced, I remember when it was a major accomplishment here in wv if a sow bear went into fall and still had a cub with her, now through the efforts of hunters, taking out rogue males that kill cubs when they can, on occasion you see a sow with not 2, not 3, but 4 cubs in tow during squirrel season, deer populations are beyond carrying capacity, small game and turkeys are more abundant than ever, and its been the efforts of hunters and our dollars that have brought this about, so is it better to harvest part of the deer population or to see the rotting carcasses as a result of hemorragic disease from overpopulation?
RR

Last edited:
I bet most of the people that hunt love animals. I am a wildlife watcher and get great enjoyment out of it. I love to hunt but I still feel bad every time I kill something. The people that but the burr under my saddle are the ones that don't like hunting or hunters but still allow someone else to do the dirty work and kill their meat. Sorry for the rambling but it is a complex subject for me I guess.

Its been my experience ya cant make a women do anything :eek: As for her understanding why you hunt??? I guess if she aint hassleing you about it I'd leave it be!
My first two wives hunted but I'm not convinced thats a plus at all. Sharing everything is highly over rated, hunting is more than anything my "me time". I get out and about with no worries but then I'm just a hermit caught up in seciety
Killing something is one of those politics and religion questions I avoid!! There is not really a right or wrong just an opinion :cool:

My wife is an anilmal lover also,however we have compromised. Sher eats the game I kill and doesn't bitch about me going hunting. She just doesn't want to see it or go to camp where killing and caping and skinning is going on. I don't bitch about her FOO FOO dogs in the house.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.