After the animal is down

JackRabbitSquare

Well since I wore my red socks today…

Since I am new to this long range hunting stuff I was wondering how you guys go about getting an animal after it is down? Since most of my shooting has been at short ranges in dense cover we (my father, hunting partners and myself) usually rely on 4-wheelers or 6-wheelers to haul/drag the animal back to the pickup. When you get an animal at longer ranges how do you find the animal after shooting it, i.e. does someone stay and keep an eye on it while others walk over to it? And after it is all said and done do you pack the thing out, or do you rely on mechanical or animal transportation?

The way we do it....After the animal is down.We keep at least one set of big eyes on it.We then send a few of the younger guys
grin.gif
over to where it is...We talk them in with talkabout radios...And we do things the old fashion way....We just drag them out..
grin.gif

[ 09-15-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

If you're on a high point or identifiable location you can shoot a compass bearing... You know the distance from the ranging method (I assume you range). Walk/drive or whatever to the area of the critter and back range and bearing to get to the spot. If you need a marker at the shooting point...use flagging tape or some such. If it's getting dark... leave one of those little mag lights in the "candle" mode as a beacon. Once you give it some thought it'll be easy enough... Write down some of the thing you remember about the critter location if it's a new place and you're alone... "in line with the whatever", "critter went out of sight at the big spruce with a stumpy left limb".. you'll forget in the excitement. Jot down something about where you shot from...leave a marker is best. The key it that you know the distance "from and to" so you can always try again of you have a landmark.

Pack it out???... I shoot them for other folks...I bring them along and let them pack it/them out!

[ 09-15-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Why pack them out when you have a perfectly good horse to do it! which is about the only thing they are good for! A little Vixes on an old sock tied to the halter does wonders. Just have to watch the horns on those big elk. Don't forget, what ever you carry.. flag it or tarp it (orange), the hunters out there most likly don't think like we expect! Anyone can buy a gun and make sound shots! Thank God most of them don't get out of their trucks.

I can't use 4 wheelers where I hunt at. I can ride my mule though. I have in the past shot something way out there and got on him and he went right to it. I don't know how, I just let him have the reins and he went to the animal. It must be a smell thing or something. Aside from using the mule though I commoly have to track down lost animals for other hunters. I have been called in the middle of the night before when someone lost a deer or hog or something and had to go out and find it for the knuckleheads. I have never had a problem finding a bloodtrail and if I dodn't find one within a few minutes then they missed it and called me out for nothing. Lately I have been doing some really long range shooting at varmints and if I shoot one I want to go see I pick out a land mark or feature and just keep heading for it not taking my eyes off it except for the occasional glance down for rattle snakes.

We often use tracking dogs to find them. Then we drag them out to the nearest road,many places here are so rough even tractors can´t handle it.Then we take them to our cottage to skin and hang... The real work really starts after the kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.