Bear protection handguns?

You are stating the obvious; we all know neither actually matter if a bear is, in your stated scenario, charging you within 25 feet. Not for anything, you are absolutely not drawing, presenting, and acquiring irons period with a bear charging at 25 feet; you are pointing and shooting instinctively. Let's be realistic, I dont think im talking to Jerry Miculek here. By the time you realize whats going on, adrenaline dump, and react you'd be lucky to have your hand on your pistol by the time he's 10 feet out. Frankly a pistol period very well might not matter at that point either. Dot or not.

...but if you have time and space there is zero question the red dot is better once youve learned how to shoot with it. If the dot makes one of two situations better, isn't a detriment to other, and only requires some practice in the living room to learn how to acquire it...I'll take the dot.

To each their own though, do what you feel is best for you. I was only offering some advice on how to become proficient with acquiring the dot.
The take away from the iron sight vs red dot debate is that you need to practice. I shoot pistols a lot. I feel that if you pick up a gun that you aren't used to and have a consistent grip fro then it's an advantage to have irons with a bright front sight to pick up as you bring it up. You can adjust as needed pretty quick without being an expert with that weapon.
A red dot is absolutely faster, and accurate faster IF you shoot that weapon a lot and have the grip for it. A red dot will also help you to train your natural pointing of that weapon and to build a consistent good grip.
If I pick up a pistol that has a 1911 grip or close to it i know my grip points that weapon where my thumbs are pointed. I could put tape over the sights and hit a 8" plate at 20' because that's what I practice with.
Whatever it is you carry you should be able to get it drawn and put multiple shots on reasonable size target in a few seconds.

I enjoy reading all of the opinions about "Bear Protection Handguns" posted by the members here at Long Range Hunting . At my age of 74 , reading of other people's experiences is about all that I do now .

My question to all members is :
How many of you have actually killed a Bear with a pistol ? I am not talking about a Life-threatening , self-defense , encounter with an enraged Grizzly Bear , but harvesting a large Bear , either Black Bear or Grizzly Bear (Grizzly only in Alaska , not legal in Lower 48 States) , using any of the 10mm , .357 Mag , .41 Mag , .44 Mag , or .45 L.C. Pistols that are endlessly debated about in this thread and other related threads ?
I have omitted the .454 Casull , .460SW , and .500SW because most here know the capabilities of those cartridges .

Those of you that actually go Bear hunting with a pistol , whether it be hunting over bait , hunting with hounds (which would seem to be the most likely scenario for using a pistol to harvest a bear) , or those of you that crawl into caves looking for bears , Please tell us of your experiences .
What pistol , cartridge , and bullet did you use ? Hard cast , flat-nosed , or Jacketed expanding ?
What were the results on terminal performance , Penetration or Pass-through ?

I think that actual experiences would be a nice addition to this discussion .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

As I prepare to tap the post reply tab, I see this is an extraordinarily long post. Even after spending some effort shortening it.

Anyhowz... I was with a guy that dropped a smallish sized black bear with a 44 Mag S&W revolver back in the spring of 1980. It was a nuisance bear on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula that had harrassed the lone female resident at her house relentlessly, to the extent she'd moved out of her house. And wouldn't return until the bear had been removed from the area.

Bear season was open, it was legal to kill the bear at that location, and we knew about what time the bear would likely show up, because the bear was so repetitious. We arrived early in the morning. Maybe 6AM... About 1.5 hours before the bear's scheduled morning rondevous. We knocked on the door to make sure the lady was gone. Immediately noticed the well worn trafficked bear trail encircling the house. We weren't worried about dispersing our human scent because this bear was comfy in the presence of human scent. We observed one window had been broken, where the bear had previously entered the house. The broken window had been boarded over with plywood. We saw claw marks on the exterior siding in multiple locations around the house, and next to the boarded over window. Not a doubt we had arrived at the correct residence! Was a fairly remote residence situated in native forest ~ 3/4 mile from the next closest house. Surrounding land was nothing but forest.

We climbed up on the roof of a small shed about 50 feet from the house to await the bear's arrival. Like clockwork, we heard movement noise about the time the bear had been arriving. We each prepped our firearms for action. I had a Ruger bolt action 338 Win Mag rifle. My partner, the 44 Mag S&W revolver. The bear came around the near corner of the house and very quickly spotted us on the shed roof. He stood upright on hind legs, exposing his shoulders, head and neck above the tall grass. Plan was to allow first shot with the revolver. If the bear didn't drop on the spot, instantly shoot the departing bear with 338.

At the revolver's report, the bear pancaked in its tracks so quickly I barely saw it drop. At the time, I didn't know my partner had aimed between the bear's eyes. He took a frontal head shot. We could hear labored breathing where the bear dropped, but couldn't see the bear due to tall grass and ground cover. The breathing continued, so we climbed down a ladder, one at a time while covering each other in case the bear became a threat. We walked the longer route around the house, because that approach gave us the better view while approaching the bear. Bear was unconscious, but not dying. So my partner put another 44 slug through the bear's ribs/lungs. Bear expired in ~30 seconds.

The interesting point regarding bullet performance wasn't found until skinning out the bear back at our residence. The 1st 44 Mag slug was found slightly offset from one of the bear's eyes, flattened against the outer skull surface. Bullet never penetrated the frontal skull of the bear! In all fairness, I need to add the bullet was factory ammo. A 220 or 240 grain jacketed bullet with exposed lead nose, as I recall. Was obviously soft lead composition, because the bullet was well expanded against the skull. The skull was cracked. Could see the fracture lines and fissures where the bullet struck skull. But none of the bullet entered the skull.

IMO, the 44 Mag is the near equivalent of the 454 Casull. Had my partner shot that black bear with a hardened lead cast bullet, which the majority of Alaskan revolver owners (and I) prefer and carry for bear defense, his 44 Mag would have driven the slug clear through that bear's skull. No question about it. This experience serves to highlight the vital importance of proper bullet selection and use in any bear defense handgun ammo.

Been hunting Alaska for 48 years now. Have shot numerous bears..., black, grizzly, and brown over those years. I carry revolvers for bear defense when I'm not carrying a long arm, but never shot a bear with a revolver.

Have a relative killed a mountain grizzly with his 454 Casull. Spine / shoulder shot flattened the bear from ~50yds. A medium size grizzly. Also know a few folk that have killed moose with 454 Casulls.

Ah... almost forgot this one... an aquaintence of mine stopped a deadly brown bear attack with his S&W 44 Mag revolver, while his face was inside the boar's jaws. He told me his experience in great detail one fall, a few years after the incident, while we were both weathered in at the Kodiak airport. Both waiting to get flown out to hunt blacktail deer. Most of the bones in his face were crunched, but the boar's canines didn't damage his brain. So he was still clear-headed when he was finally able to draw his revolver from chest holster, and fire the last 4 rounds into the underside of the boar, strictly by feel. Couldn't see anything because his eyes and face were inside the bear's jaws. He pressed the revolver muzzle against the underside of the bear and fired 4 rounds as quickly as possible. He told me that bear became still for a few seconds immediately after firing those 4 rounds. Said the bear then released his head and trotted away into the nearby brush. He'd fired the first two shells while the revolver was still partially in his chest holster. The bear's paws had his shooting arm pinned against his chest while he was layed out flat on his back, which prevented him from pulling the revolver from the holster. He fired those 2 rounds in desperation, hoping the boar would move its paws and free his shooting hand before it killed him. It worked, and undoubtedly saved his life. That bear was never found, dead or alive. Pretty confident it did die. But the location was somewhat remote and brushy. Despite robust efforts, neither family members nor responding State & Federal officials were able to locate its carcass in the following days.

I understand from the numerous autopsies performed on human corpses that high pressure muzzle gas propelled into a body when a muzzle is pressed firmly against body, creates tremendous soft tissue destruction. Way beyond damage from the slug. I suspect 4 discharges of high pressure gas into the brisket/belly of that boar created tremendous shock, and helped deter the boar's attack. This was no weenie bear - false charge. This boar was in the process of killing him. He was a week or so recovering in the local hospital. Wired his jaws together. Reconstructed facial bone structure. Plastic surgery to piece his skin back together.

Enough for one post!!!

Last edited:
As I prepare to tap the post reply tab, I see this is an extraordinarily long post. Even after spending some effort shortening it.

Anyhowz... I was with a guy that dropped a smallish sized black bear with a 44 Mag S&W revolver back in the spring of 1980. It was a nuisance bear on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula that had harrassed the lone female resident at her house relentlessly, to the extent she'd moved out of her house. And wouldn't return until the bear had been removed from the area.

Bear season was open, it was legal to kill the bear at that location, and we knew about what time the bear would likely show that morning, because the bear was so repetitious. We arrived early in the morning. Maybe 6AM... About 1.5 hours before the bear's scheduled morning rondevous. We knocked on the door to make sure the lady was gone. Immediately noticed the well worn trafficked bear trail encircling the house. We weren't worried about dispersing our human scent because this bear was comfy in the presence of human scent. We observed one window had been broken, where the bear had previously entered the house. The broken window had been boarded over with plywood. We saw claw marks on the exterior siding in multiple locations around the house, and next to the boarded over window. Not a doubt we had arrived at the correct residence! Was a fairly remote residence situated in native forest ~ 3/4 mile from the next closest house. Surrounding land was nothing but forest.

We climbed up on the roof of a small shed about 50 feet from the house to await the bear's arrival. Like clockwork, we heard movement noise about the time the bear had been arriving. We each prepped our firearms for action. I had a Ruger bolt action 338 Win Mag rifle. My partner, the 44 Mag S&W revolver. The bear came around the near corner of the house and very quickly spotted us on the shed roof. He stood upright on hind legs, exposing his shoulders, head and neck above the tall grass. Plan was to allow first shot with the revolver. If the bear didn't drop on the spot, instantly shoot the departing bear with 338.

At the revolver's report, the bear pancaked in its tracks so quickly I barely saw it drop. At the time, I didn't know my partner had aimed between the bear's eyes. He took a frontal head shot. We could hear labored breathing where the bear dropped, but couldn't see the bear due to tall grass and ground cover. The breathing continued, so we climbed down a ladder, one at a time while covering each other in case the bear became a threat. We walked the long route around the house, because that approach gave us the better view while approaching the bear. Bear was unconscious, but not dying. So my partner put another 44 slug through the bear's ribs/lungs. Bear expired in ~30 seconds.

The interesting point regarding bullet performance wasn't found until skinning out the bear back at our residence. The 1st 44 Mag slug was found slightly offset from one of the bear's eyes, flattened against the outer skull surface. Bullet never penetrated the frontal skull of the bear! In all fairness, I need to add the bullet was factory ammo. A 220 grain jacketed bullet with exposed lead nose, as I recall. Was obviously soft lead composition, because the bullet was well expanded against the skull. The skull was cracked. Could see the break lines and fissures where the bullet struck skull. But none of the bullet entered the skull.

IMO, the 44 Mag is the near equivalent of the 454 Casull. Had my partner shot that black bear with a hardened lead cast bullet, which the majority of Alaskan revolver owners (and I) prefer and carry for bear defense, his 44 Mag would have driven the slug clear through that bear's skull. No question about it. This experience serves to highlight the vital importance of proper bullet selection and use in any bear defense handgun ammo.

Been hunting Alaska for 48 years now. Have shot numerous bears..., black, grizzly, and brown over those years. I carry revolvers for bear defense when I'm not carrying a long arm, but never shot a bear with a revolver.

Have a relative killed a mountain grizzly with his 454 Casull. Spine / shoulder shot flattened the bear from ~50yds. A medium size grizzly. Also know a few folk that have killed moose with 454 Casulls.

Ah... almost forgot this one... an aquaintence of mine stopped a deadly brown bear attack with his S&W 44 Mag revolver, while his face was inside the boar's jaws. He told me his experience in great detail one fall, a few years after the incident, while we were both weathered in at the Kodiak airport. Both waiting to get flown out to hunt blacktail deer. Most of the bones in his face were crunched, but the boar's canines didn't damage his brain. So he was still clear-headed when he was finally able to draw his revolver from chest holster, and fire the last 4 rounds into the underside of the boar, strictly by feel. Couldn't see anything because his eyes and face were inside the bear's jaws. He pressed the revolver muzzle against the underside of the bear and fired 4 rounds as quickly as possible. He told me that bear became still for a few seconds immediately after firing those 4 rounds. Said the bear then released his head and trotted away into the nearby brush. He'd fired the first two shells while the revolver was still in his chest holster. The bear's paws had his shooting arm pinned against his chest while he was layed out flat on his back, which preventing him from pulling the revolver completely from the holster. He fired those 2 rounds in desperation, hoping the boar would move its paws and free his shooting hand before it killed him. It worked, and undoubtedly saved his life. That bear was never found, dead or alive. Pretty confident it did die. But the location was somewhat remote and brushy. Despite robust efforts, neither family members nor responding State & Federal officials were able to locate its carcass in the following days.

I understand from the numerous autopsies performed on human corpses, that high pressure muzzle gas propelled into a body when a muzzle is pressed firmly against body, creates tremendous soft tissue destruction. Way beyond damage from the slug. I suspect 4 discharges of high pressure gas into the brisket/belly of that boar created tremendous shock, and helped deter the boar's attack. This was no weenie bear - false charge. This boar was in the process of killing him. He was a week or so recovering in the local hospital. Wired his jaws together. Reconstructed facial bone structure. Plastic surgery to piece his skin back together.

Enough for one post!!!

Thank You Pdvdh !

I enjoy reading all of the opinions about "Bear Protection Handguns" posted by the members here at Long Range Hunting . At my age of 74 , reading of other people's experiences is about all that I do now .

My question to all members is :
How many of you have actually killed a Bear with a pistol ? I am not talking about a Life-threatening , self-defense , encounter with an enraged Grizzly Bear , but harvesting a large Bear , either Black Bear or Grizzly Bear (Grizzly only in Alaska , not legal in Lower 48 States) , using any of the 10mm , .357 Mag , .41 Mag , .44 Mag , or .45 L.C. Pistols that are endlessly debated about in this thread and other related threads ?
I have omitted the .454 Casull , .460SW , and .500SW because most here know the capabilities of those cartridges .

Those of you that actually go Bear hunting with a pistol , whether it be hunting over bait , hunting with hounds (which would seem to be the most likely scenario for using a pistol to harvest a bear) , or those of you that crawl into caves looking for bears , Please tell us of your experiences .
What pistol , cartridge , and bullet did you use ? Hard cast , flat-nosed , or Jacketed expanding ?
What were the results on terminal performance , Penetration or Pass-through ?

I think that actual experiences would be a nice addition to this discussion .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

I killed a pretty little, dumb blonde (actually a two tone blond) in 1989, with my 629 Smith using my 265 cast bullets.

She smelled me, ran off a bit into the timber, then got interested in tearing into a rotted log. I did my best "Indian" impersonation, getting within about 20 yards. She turned offering a broadside…..end of story!

She's small, but a blonde handgun bear….I'm happy with her! memtb

1715302140348.jpeg

I killed a pretty little, dumb blonde (actually a two tone blond) in 1989, with my 629 Smith using my 265 cast bullets.

She smelled me, ran off a bit into the timber, then got interested in tearing into a rotted log. I did my best "Indian" impersonation, getting within about 20 yards. She turned offering a broadside…..end of story!

She's small, but a blonde handgun bear….I'm happy with her! memtb

View attachment 570600
That's a high school picture. I've seen it before 😁

Last edited:
That's a high school picture. I've see. It before 😁

Clean liv'n, I spent the first 30 years of my life in a Monastery 😁…..I was 38 when the photo was taken.

If I looked a little out of breath, I didn't have a timer on the camera. Ya gotta be pretty quick to push the button, and pose with the animal! 😜 memtb

Last edited: